Pete Lewis

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

The upside of blood pressure pills is you're not allowed grapefruit. (True!)

Doug

It is true! Trouble is, I don't like grapefruit, so have none to not be allowed to have when I take my pills....

Indeed, But it amuses me that with all the drugs I'm taking my chemist prints the only warning on the Atorvastatin label "DO NOT EAT GRAPEFRUIT" The link here says 1.2 litres of juice is required to have a detrimental effect. Who on earth drinks 1.2 litres of grapefruit juice?!! It would go through you like drain cleaner! 

Doug

We used to drink Gallons of Lime juice, Literally, had a 2 Gall Enamel bucket and a tin mug in the Boiler room!. Wonder what that did to our metaballism?.

Pete

45 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Indeed, But it amuses me that with all the drugs I'm taking my chemist prints the only warning on the Atorvastatin label "DO NOT EAT GRAPEFRUIT" The link here says 1.2 litres of juice is required to have a detrimental effect. Who on earth drinks 1.2 litres of grapefruit juice?!! It would go through you like drain cleaner! 

Doug

I take atorvastatin to treat cholesterol not blood pressure I guess I too had better buy some grapefruit so I can avoid eating it 🤪

Oh dear.   Please see this before you rely on fruit juice to deal with cholesterol:.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/expert-answers/pomegranate-juice/faq-20058560

As usual, some very small and unauthoritative studies, plus the Daily Express et al, and those who want to SELL it to you, make it seem much more important than it is!

15 minutes ago, JohnD said:

As usual, some very small and unauthoritative studies, plus the Daily Express et al, and those who want to SELL it to you, make it seem much more important than it is!

Always puzzled me why people prefer to believe rumour or friend of a friend rather than people with impressive qualifications who have spent years studying a problem.

Regards

Paul

This is a serious question - what can you do to reduce cholesterol naturally? I've been on Statins for 3 months and its dropped from 5.2 to 3.3 in that time. - I really don't want to take them if I can avoid it - and to be fair the blood pressure tablets too.

45 minutes ago, RogerH said:

If you are taking Statins to control cholesterol then consider Pomegranate juice. 

I have read that it works very well.

Roger 

It may have higher levels of 'antioxidants' than red wine but I'll stick to the wine and triple my consumption 🍷

AF,

Whatever ailment I have my doctor has the same solution “LOOSE WEIGHT!”  She told me every 2lbs I loose knocks 1 point off my BP.

Only another 50lbs to go.:(

And lay off the salt.

I cut back on Cholesterol rich food and that works to an extent. However once you’re on the statins medics are reluctant to take you off.

And remember that eggs and avocados were once very bad for us, but are now “super foods” wonder how that happened?

Doug

Yeah loose weight. I have lost some (Stone or so) since a couple of years ago. Did get down to just over 14stone before Christmas - but back up to 14 10 now. 

I check my BP every now and then and is still "too" high but about 30points lower than it was. Seems to have stabilized though. 

John, the slightly annoying thing is the dr only asked if I had an aversion to using drugs to reduce my risk of heart attack in the next 10 years. Which I don't - but he didn't even suggest anything else - like diet. The implication being that it was in the family. (Or I read it that way anyway!)

My Dad had a heart bypass when he was 54/55 - which I've passed - and died last year of basically being old - 83 to be exact. No suggestion of a heart condition - although the fact that it stopped was the cause of his death. And no one else in the family has any particular heart issues. 

But now I've had my blood test I shall no doubt be seeing (Well a phone call if recent past is to go by) to discuss the results and what to do in the future.

The only time I drank grenadine (pomegranate juice) was with pernod  :) ...beautiful drink. I was on statins for high cholesterol but after a part colon removal 2.5 years ago (cancer related but all nodes clear) I stopped smoking and reduced beer intake, lost a stone and BMI is now 25.5. I asked my GP if I still needed them, she said no so I am on NO medication at all!

Mind I do Vape and have the recommended 14 pints a week......oh! Is that meant to be 14 units?? :(

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

For reliable advice, your doctor - who is overworked and under resourced - or the NHS website:https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-cholesterol/how-to-lower-your-cholesterol/

Try to eat less:

butter, cream and hard cheese

Fat (😁) chance, I live in Normandy.

Exercise more

walking – try to walk fast enough so your heart starts beating faster

Went to my doctor last Tuesday, pulse rate after sitting around for 45 minutes, 97 (not the first time either). He wants to know why and try and reduce it. I felt like telling him it was due to stress because he was 45 minutes late . . .I have downloaded an application on my generic "i pad" (tablette here) that uses the camera and flash to take my pulse, ain't science wonderful, taken it every evening at 9 to 9.30 when relaxed and get mid to high 80s.

Chris,

Beta blockers for you! That's how they caught up with me, 80+ resting heart rate, now I'm down to AF's levels and lower. 

Incidentally statins ARE part of my BP treatment, you godda think holistically, if your pipes are clogged up yer pump's got to pump harder.

Doug