Pete Lewis

11 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Foot end and gearbox end... no that discriminates against automatic owners... big cylinder and small cylinder... no wait, that's sizeist. I got as far as trans in transmission and realised that's another whole can of worms.

Just be like me Colin, say b*llocks to the pc brigade life has more to worry about than upsetting the odd moron..... :) 

Tony.

I've heard a great story from the war where a soldier stationed overseas was waiting on news of the birth of twins, and due to Government Restrictions the passing of private information was forbidden as it may block official traffic.

The proud father was informed that the radio equipment he had ordered had now reached his home base, one transmitter and one receiver...

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

I heard of someone in the electrical / electronic trade getting disciplinary action for accurately answering a particularly over-sensitive woman who asked "and just why exactly do you insist on calling this connector 'male' and that one 'female'?"

That happened to me! RS232 connectors. I was only saved by producing the Radio Spares catalogue which listed them. 

As a young apprentice I was surprised and suspicious to be shown a Bastard file. It's a real thing, you can use it on wood or metal. Halfords don't seem to stock them.

Doug

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I've heard a great story from the war where a soldier stationed overseas was waiting on news of the birth of twins, and due to Government Restrictions the passing of private information was forbidden as it may block official traffic.

The proud father was informed that the radio equipment he had ordered had now reached his home base, one transmitter and one receiver...

Now it would be a transceiver.

Yep, certainly sounds like some axe grinder from the Metric Empire of the EU, although it's interesting to note that they went back to BSW after metric proved less than suitable.

No doubt someone will soon be removing and destroying all of the Imperial spanners on sale in shops due to their connections with the evil empire.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

it's interesting to note that they went back to BSW after metric proved less than suitable.

Hardly "less than suitable", perfectly suitable just people moaning that they need to turn the new bolts a few more times than the old ones, so they can't get to their tea break as quickly.

10 minutes ago, Mjit said:

Hardly "less than suitable", perfectly suitable just people moaning that they need to turn the new bolts a few more times than the old ones, so they can't get to their tea break as quickly.

Okay I shall amend my post.

"They went back to BSW after the finer metric threads increased the time and difficulty of setup, which often takes place at the top of a ladder". 

This to me does not appear ideal for a job that requires less time and difficulty due to the awkward position. Suitable for the job is a bolt, or nut, that is easier to fit as it takes less time and effort, or less difficulty. 'Perfectly suitable' implies it works first time as intended, due to the word 'perfect'. Suitable on its' own could be used, as it would work with more effort than originally intended, but with more difficulty than was hoped for, but would still eventually be utilised. If they gave up on it, as is implied, then to me it is 'less than suitable' as it is no longer even used by adaptation or tolerance. It has been discarded, therefore did not become suitable let alone perfectly suitable; it was found to be inadequate for the conditions required. Consequently I still believe it was 'less than suitable'. 

Hope this clears things up... :)

The woman says, "Dr. Chen, I'm desparate. I can't find a date for the life of me! Can you check if there is anything wrong with me?"

Dr. Chen replies in his thick Chinese accent, "Ok Miss, start off by stripping naked. Then get on your hands and knees, and crawl across the room."

The woman, confused, does as she is asked: strips down and begins to crawl. Dr. Chen thinks outloud, "Hmm... Yes I think I know what it is".

"What is it!"

"Crawl back to the wall one more time". The woman does as she's asked. Then the doctor says, "I know what your problem is."

The woman excitedly asks: "You know why I haven't been able to get a date for the past months?"

"Yes, I do. You have Ed Zachary disease."

"Ed Zachary disease? What is that?" The woman asks.

In his thick Chinese accident, the doctor answers: "It's when your face look Ed Zachary like your ass.