Pete Lewis

42 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I eat cornflakes, doesn't that help? All those vitamins and minerals... but there's something in what you say: healthy people are less likely to die than those with underlying health conditions, or who are suffering from vitamin deficiency.

Re the masks: it may be a small step, but it's akin to asking people to donate aluminium saucepans during WW2, they felt they were doing something and a part of things. I'd rather have people on side and making an effort to stop the spread; maybe by wearing masks, they'll take other precautions too, and we'll get back to normal. I just wish they'd get it over with rather than this half-life that may drag on eternally because people who should be self-isolating can't be bothered to look after themselves, so the rest of us have to.

It also helps having a sense of humour and a not to serious outlook on life :) A bit like most of you guy's. Now where's me cornflake's.......

Tony. 

A friend just told me his daughters school (she is a teacher) is imposing mandatory masks at all times from Monday. I don't know if this is a local decision but he lives in the affluent spike area I mentioned in a previous post. Although he is adhering to the rules many people in his area are not. Although I really hate masks I do wear one as per the rules however it was reported on the telly (probably more fake news) that most infections have been through gatherings in homes and gardens where people are not required to wear them hence the rule of 6. 

Iain 

Here in France the 2 biggest causes for the virus spreading are family gatherings & at work.

The answer is clear then: keep away from all family members and for heavens sake don't go to work.

Damn!

The old family I have live in England and I'm retired, life as usual then I guess for me. 😇

Edited by Chris A
old = only

Just been to the surgery for a flu jab. All done in the car park, nurse at each corner, go to whichever one is vacant.

”Roll up your left sleeve” 

“I’d like it in my right arm please”

”Why 😱?”

”I’m left handed”

”You’ll have to sign a disclaimer”

”Why?”

”We’re supposed to do it in the left”

😡

How many left handers have died of Covid? Haven’t seen that stat yet.

db

Saturday morning: both or our local GAA (Gaelic football) grounds that I passed are full of kids playing sports with parents watching, and not a trace of social distancing. These are the same kids and parents who deem it too dangerous to go to work and want all sorts of isolation at school.

however - Doug: have a look:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness#:~:text=In many countries across the world%2C left-handed people,will be more accustomed to the right-handed majority.

According to that, left handed people (like me!) are more likely to suffer health and mental problems, but are also likely to earn 10 - 15% more than right handed people. So, I'm mad, but at least can be mad comfortably.

18 hours ago, RogerH said:

Wearing masks is questionable as far as I am concerned. It is a cheap way for the Gov't to try and get

everybody on side.

How many of you are taking Vit D3 and how much.

The NICE recommendation is 400IU/day - just enough to keep rickets at bay.

You need 1000 - 2000 IU/D to keep your D3 levels high enough for your immune system to fight whatever is out there.

The Gov't will not recommend D3 for unknown reasons.

If everybody took a 4000IU/D capsule the virus would disappear very quickly.

You can still contract the virus but the effects will be reduced, possibly no effects.

The cost = £10/person/year.

Roger

The case for Vitamin D has not been helped by a recent vague  NICE report.

However, the case for vitamin D is  very sound - if someone has a low level.

The evidence to suggest that supplementation above  the accepted optimal  “normal “ level by taking heroic mega- doses being of benefit is very much less sound.

(Incidentally,If you look at PHE,  The “Gov” does  reccomend vitamin D for all adults and children , including women who are pregnant - but it hasn’t been shouting it out,  and as you say they are saying 400IU.)

However, bearing in mind that

1.a high percentage of the UK population is well below optimal level-  even in summer.so 400 Iu will benefit them- us.

2.Certain ethnic groups by skin colour and  custom of low sun exposure can have very low vit D levels ,

2.In UK from early Nov to March , UVB light is insufficient to maintain an optimal vit  D level.

3.elderly skin produces vit D  much less efficiently.

4.Those who go out infrequently in summer (care home residents a prime high risk example) have little or no UVB exposure, have low or very low levels.

5.Intake of 25 mcg daily = 1000 IU  is considered very  safe for the vast majority of people with exceptions such as if taken with calcium /vit D calcium. and patients  on multi tablet regimes should review their medication with their doctor first.

6.The evidence for Vit D role in modulating the immune response to respiratory infection is  very well established.

7. Over  80% of our vit D is sunlight dependant - not dietary

So, there probably is a case for most of us taking vit  D3 ( 1000iu) (25mcg )  daily - to help resilience,   if only from now to late Spring.

I am.

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Just been to the surgery for a flu jab. All done in the car park, nurse at each corner, go to whichever one is vacant.

”Roll up your left sleeve” 

“I’d like it in my right arm please”

”Why 😱?”

”I’m left handed”

”You’ll have to sign a disclaimer”

”Why?”

”We’re supposed to do it in the left”

😡

How many left handers have died of Covid? Haven’t seen that stat yet.

db

No joke, I've just had mine, and it could not have been more efficient and well organised.

The two local GP practices arranged a 'drive-in' on the local Uni campus.  Attend in time slots according to your name initial.   Lots of students as tabarded marshals to show you where to go (I thought I knew the layout!), multiple gazebos on the car parks, directed into the first available space, and a PPed nurse is at your window immediately, inject into right arm - of course! - and drive away.    I waited no more than five minutes, and no fussing about 'rest for few mins after the jab'!      I had a drive-in Covid test previously, run by the Army, but this was no less efficient and effective.     I said so, and the nurse seemed to appreciate the compliment, which was echoed in the local press.    Would that national efforts were as well organised.

They have a similar walk-in clinic for the car-less, but I can't speak about that.

Joke....... no

Puzzle.....yes

Trying to change the subject and get closer to the OPs lighthearted subject instead of this monotonous banter about something we, as individuals  cannot change :)

so... give me a sentence with 5 "and's" in a row that makes sense. 

Answer at the end of my post which went WAY of topic when twizzle came in ;)

26 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Answer at the end of my post which went WAY of topic when twizzle came in

Jeff,

The original post was started in 2015 and involved a pensioner who fell from a balcony. This is the Jokes section, where Twizzle is entirely appropriate :)

Doug 

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

your suposed to wind the window down  !!!

LH has to be a european LHD version of the jab 

pete

OK, so as long as I don't turn up here in France in The Triumph which is RHD 🙄

Roll on the winter flu jab which is free to us old folk and can now be done  by a pharmacist. Last one was done in the stock room of the the pharmacy 🙃

4 hours ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

The evidence to suggest that supplementation above  the accepted optimal  “normal “ level by taking heroic mega- doses being of benefit is very much less sound.

That's a good post.

On a normal summer sunny day the average Vit D absorbed from sunlight is up to 20,000IU - this will not kill you.

So why would 5000 IU/D of Vit D3 be unknown and questionable.

If this is worryibg do not go anywhere near the 'D3 Hammer'

Roger