Pete Lewis

15 hours ago, PeterH said:

Ok I accept we need these new restrictions, but what annoys me is the way they are presented as if we are all naughty children

We are, in fact many are acting worse than children. "But WHY can't we go to the pub, get drunk and infect each other??" Stamps little feet in anger...

Ten ambulance workers here have just tested positive, all from the same station - they went on a Golf Outing over the border where they thought they'd escape the UK covid rules. If you can't act like responsible adults, you'll get the kiddie's menu...

15 hours ago, thescrapman said:

No having to go and have dinner with mother. whooo Hooooo

I'm with you all the way! I have 6 grandchildren, Christmas is a nightmare, shouting, screaming, fighting, jumping on the furniture, and that's just the adults. I've told them, leave my Christmas dinner on the step, I have a complete box set of Battle Star Galactica to watch.

Doug

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

We are, in fact many are acting worse than children. "But WHY can't we go to the pub, get drunk and infect each other??" Stamps little feet in anger...

The issue isn't the "You can't go to the pub" but the "You can go to the pub but not after 10pm" as if:

a) You'll be less drunk so likely spread the virus at 10pm if you start drinking at 5:30pm than you would be at 11pm if you started at 6:30.
b) You'll be less drunk so less likely to spread the virus drinking 10 pints between 5pm and 10pm than you would be drinking 10 pints between 5pm and 11pm.
c) The virus only works nights.
d) The fact that ALL pubs will be chucking out at exactly the same time, at 10pm, meaning ALL the drunk people are winding their ways home at the same time will result in a lower transmission rate than some closing at 11pm, some 11:30, some midnight.
d) etc

But like being told "People who are overwright are at a higher risk from Covid, so there are no restrictions on the time you spend in the fruit and veg. section of the supermarket, but you're only permitted to spend 6min in the cake isle.".

1 hour ago, Mjit said:

The issue isn't the "You can't go to the pub" but the "You can go to the pub but not after 10pm" as if:
d) The fact that ALL pubs will be chucking out at exactly the same time, at 10pm, meaning ALL the drunk people are winding their ways home at the same time will result in a lower transmission rate than some closing at 11pm, some 11:30, some midnight.

Ok Cinderella, go to the ball and stay out after midnight. The pubs were only the first example I thought of, but why can't we have thousands crammed into aeroplanes, or into football stadiums? Why can't we have large funerals or christenings? Why can't we have huge house or street parties? Personally I don't care, they're not in my area, I won't be going to them, and if everyone gets a potentially fatal disease, it hopefully won't affect me, but at least I see someone trying to do something to help others in making rules that others see as non-sensical.

Actually they used the argument that if pubs close at different times drunks will all stagger home over an extended period, but all they found was that the drunks all staggered to the pubs that were still open, and stayed there until the last one closed. All it benefitted were the landlords who got extra revenue from later opening hours. 

The ONS published a study of 729 spikes that said only 5% of transmissions were in pubs/restaurants.  If I remember correctly 18% at work, 21% at schools but  45% at care homes! If this is true guess which one I would be concentrating on, would that be the highest transmissions that just happens to have the most vulnerable people?

I know this to be true because it was reported in the Daily Mail.............

Iain

31 minutes ago, Iain T said:

The ONS published a study of 729 spikes that said only 5% of transmissions were in pubs/restaurants.  

Isn't that because they were all closed?? :)

6pm TV News is on at present, some representative of the trade has just said that they've lost millions in revenue and 'didn't so anything to deserve it?' I don't think any of us did, but it's an awkward position, where businesses and organisations have to try to make money at the risk of the lives of others, and we're being told to go out on one hand and stay at home on the other. Strange, frustrating times, guys.

32 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Isn't that because they were all closed?? :)

All the restaurants and pubs have been open here for some time but yes footfall probably lower. 

My concern, as it was 6 months ago, is we are again punishing the wrong sectors and if the stats are to be believed not doing enough to protect the vulnerable. Even to me with only two brain cells this seems illogical. Perhaps I'm over thinking! 

Iain 

In my latter years at British Airways I realised that the management within the Engineering department (7000 employees) had a rather strange nature.

Virtually all the younger managers did not know the product (aerofoils, undercarriage etc).

Their policy was to make a decision and if it worked then fine if it didn't then they would make another decision -

and so on until it worked (rarely) But none of this was based on skill.

I fear Boris is being guided by my BA managers

Roger

IMG0012A.thumb.jpg.a9a7d0fde89f69b4a1bfa9a25cef9f88.jpg

Just got back to sunny Normandy after 6 days in Brittany. At least  they are honest about restaurant prices.

Now, the rules here are that when you enter a bar or restaurant, you have to wear a mask until you sit down then you can remove it until you get up to leave, go to the bar or loo. Well, on the way back we stopped for a coffee and while we were sitting there a young woman, clearly a regular came in - wearing her mask. Spotted someone she knew, went up to them & lowered her mask to give them a 'bise', put her mask back up. THEN spotted someone else she knew and repeated the ritual. So possibly 3 contaminated people instead of just 1.

At breakfast in the hotel this morning - mask on to go in, mask off at the table, mask on to go and get a fruit juice, mask off to drink it, mask on to go get a pain au raisin, mask off to eat it. . . 

I'm sure its much more organised in Britain with Boris giving clear instructions and guidance. Oh, wait a moment just spotted that while he has been telling you all to stay at home and not travel his 'lady friend' and their child swanned off to lake Como.

Please can we fast forward to 2021?

2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

IMG0012A.thumb.jpg.a9a7d0fde89f69b4a1bfa9a25cef9f88.jpg

Just got back to sunny Normandy after 6 days in Brittany. At least  they are honest about restaurant prices.

Now, the rules here are that when you enter a bar or restaurant, you have to wear a mask until you sit down then you can remove it until you get up to leave, go to the bar or loo. Well, on the way back we stopped for a coffee and while we were sitting there a young woman, clearly a regular came in - wearing her mask. Spotted someone she knew, went up to them & lowered her mask to give them a 'bise', put her mask back up. THEN spotted someone else she knew and repeated the ritual. So possibly 3 contaminated people instead of just 1.

At breakfast in the hotel this morning - mask on to go in, mask off at the table, mask on to go and get a fruit juice, mask off to drink it, mask on to go get a pain au raisin, mask off to eat it. . . 

I'm sure its much more organised in Britain with Boris giving clear instructions and guidance. Oh, wait a moment just spotted that while he has been telling you all to stay at home and not travel his 'lady friend' and their child swanned off to lake Como.

Please can we fast forward to 2021?

With or without turkey?

Tony.