Pete Lewis

28 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

So why were people upset by that? Seems a harmless bit of fun to me!

They probably worked for the BBC Mark.... A lot of people get upset about everything :( Far too many tree huggers in this world. As you say, it's a harmless bit of fun that was probably enjoyed by HM and Phil  :) 

Tony. 

6 hours ago, Anglefire said:

So why were people upset by that? Seems a harmless bit of fun to me!

I thought the whole point of it was to demonstrate that what you think you are looking at could very well be fake.

And it was only at a few points that you could see the joins so to speak.

6 hours ago, poppyman said:

They probably worked for the BBC Mark.... A lot of people get upset about everything :( Far too many tree huggers in this world. As you say, it's a harmless bit of fun that was probably enjoyed by HM and Phil  :) 

Tony. 

Its quite funny my two "kids" are 22 and 20. But they are a generation apart. The oldest is very much of the whatever generation and doesn't get stressed by much. The youngest doesn't like it when I say some things - like I don't care whether a character in a film is or isn't gay or black or has the right balance. But she gets quite stressed by it. 

27 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

The youngest doesn't like it when I say some things - like I don't care whether a character in a film is or isn't gay or black or has the right balance. But she gets quite stressed by it. 

Mine too. When I watched the BBC production of Troy, where Achilles and a fair number of the Greek warriors were black, and most recently the Mary Queen of Scots movie where a lot of both the English and Scottish nobles were black, I was told to 'look beyond the actor and just consider the part' rather than complain that they weren't like that in reality. In fact, she asked me: "How do you know they weren't? There were no cameras in those days."

I think it comes from .... "Woke" people or whatever they think they are shoving stuff into peoples minds that it's "cool" to be upset about everything. Nobody was bothered not to long ago, and i think the world was a much better place. Right or wrong i don't know....

Tony  

10 hours ago, poppyman said:

I think it comes from .... "Woke" people or whatever they think they are shoving stuff into peoples minds that it's "cool" to be upset about everything. Nobody was bothered not to long ago, and i think the world was a much better place. Right or wrong i don't know....

Tony  

But that works both ways. Colins example is perfect. The reality is it makes no difference to the story, and yet some people get upset about the wrong ethnicity etc being used as actors. And then don't understand when others get upset if a straight actor plays a gay character. 

Too many people are bothered by other people being bothered. Just relax and enjoy life. It is mainly good.

(and no, I am not being critical of Colin noticing. I doubt he was bothered. When we saw David Copperfield at the flicks a lifetime ago (18months?) I was a little surprised at some of the casting, but the actors were ideally suited to the parts)

48 minutes ago, clive said:

(and no, I am not being critical of Colin noticing. I doubt he was bothered. When we saw David Copperfield at the flicks a lifetime ago (18months?) I was a little surprised at some of the casting, but the actors were ideally suited to the parts)

I was but only as far as the historical accuracy... it's a bit like watching a movie like, for example, Zulu, with some of the Zulu warriors being white. It then loses the historical angle and becomes just another action movie, which could have taken place anywhere. Achilles is no longer ancient Greek, he's now African, and you can't get into the period atmosphere any more as the producers have brought in a completely new element to the story.

As for gay actors... I've watched gay actors in straight roles. Should that cause offence?

^ they originally wanted me, but I wouldn't do their adverts for less than £1.2 million.  So my mate Capt. Niro stepped in ..asking a round million, as he was inbetween jobs at the mo'.  He's sh*t driver but hey it's the best they could do, and he did look great doing the can-can didn't he !