Pete Lewis

On 11/01/2021 at 20:25, Colin Lindsay said:

Mine too. When I watched the BBC production of Troy, where Achilles and a fair number of the Greek warriors were black, and most recently the Mary Queen of Scots movie where a lot of both the English and Scottish nobles were black, I was told to 'look beyond the actor and just consider the part' rather than complain that they weren't like that in reality. In fact, she asked me: "How do you know they weren't? There were no cameras in those days."

Do you also raise the same complaint every time you go in a church and they've replaced the arabian guy with some blond haired, blue eyed white guy on the cross and in all the pictures of Jesus?

3 hours ago, Mjit said:

Do you also raise the same complaint every time you go in a church and they've replaced the arabian guy with some blond haired, blue eyed white guy on the cross and in all the pictures of Jesus?

No, I don't complain, because I don't go. But when I DO watch something, which is supposed to be a retelling of a historical event, I'd like it to be accurate, and if someone wants to put their own interpretation of it on screen, I'd like to think I'm allowed to comment as to why I don't like it, without being cancelled or labelled racist.

25 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

No, I don't complain, because I don't go. But when I DO watch something, which is supposed to be a retelling of a historical event, I'd like it to be accurate, and if someone wants to put their own interpretation of it on screen, I'd like to think I'm allowed to comment as to why I don't like it, without being cancelled or labelled racist.

+1

Roger

I STILL want to know where Bryan Adams plugged his Amp in?. In 13th cent Sherwood Forest!. Although strangely I could believe that an "African" Might be found?. Even if after landing at "Dover", supping with father the same night, at Nottingham would have been a stretch, even to-day!. They recently used DNA to suggest that at least one of those drowned in  the Mary Rose sinking was of North African Origin. But I too do take issue with blatent "micky" taking in alleged historically accurate depictions.

And don`t get me started over suggestions of a Black, or Female "Bond". Flemmings creation was out and out WASP. (as he himself).

46 minutes ago, PeteH said:

They recently used DNA to suggest that at least one of those drowned in  the Mary Rose sinking was of North African Origin. But I too do take issue with blatent "micky" taking in alleged historically accurate depictions.

That's probably true. The Navy of the day was widely travelled, as much for trade as for war, and there was tremendous interaction between races and countries, although more so in the Navy than the Army; in the Napoleonic Wars too a percentage of British sailors were black, being recruited from many far flung places around the world.

24 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

being recruited from many far flung places around the world.

Thats a new word for "Press Ganged". Although allegedly Nelson was not at all infavour of it. One alleged quote being the "one volunteer being worth 10 pressed men" being atributed to him.

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

Yet another thing that annoys me is using modern language and especially phrases in 'new' period films etc. So much so I often turn them off. I appreciate life like moves on but this is just like wrong!

Like you are so like cool like Iain  :) 

Tony

13 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Not wanting to get into the racist thing. But worth remembering that history has changed many times over the years. And teh Jesus thing is a great example. He was middle eastern, and yet for centuries has been portrayed as very much a blond/western european. Possibly that started in Germany? who knows. And we have the hymn Jerusalem, which is all over the place and must have been written by somebody who had no grasp of reality. Written in an opium den or something

This country was dark skinned until a few thousand years ago, so historically I suspect there has always been a variety of skin colours to be seen. It is just the skin colour has been written out of history. 

For reference, oldest human remains in UK  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/07/world/europe/uk-cheddar-man-skeleton-skin.html

So the joke is on us. We have always been told that historically we are a white country, but it is not the case. Lots of lies in the history books, more so in films. Besides, we have been a brilliant trading nation (when we ruled the world, but that is all long gone) and welcomed travellers, many who "integrated" into our society.

The lyrics to Jerusalem are basically metaphorical used to inspire a rather depressed nation many many years ago.

Can you think of a tune nowadays that could give the same effect.

There is a serious difference between tanned skin in the Northern regions and very dark skin of the tropics.

When clothing was invented that tanned skin remained only in exposed areas of the body.

Roger

2 minutes ago, RogerH said:

The lyrics to Jerusalem are basically metaphorical used to inspire a rather depressed nation many many years ago.

I could never figure out why my old grammar school had it as its anthem.

18 hours ago, Iain T said:

Yet another thing that annoys me is using modern language and especially phrases in 'new' period films etc. So much so I often turn them off. I appreciate life like moves on but this is just like wrong!

Language does not stay "modern" for long nothing ages as fast as slang and the way people speak.

Regards

Paul.

18 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Can you think of a tune nowadays that could give the same effect

"Won't get fooled again" The Who

db

3 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Language does not stay "modern" for long nothing ages as fast as slang and the way people speak.

I agree but I personally don't like the use in period films etc. David Lean's film adaption of Great Expectations wouldn't work using modern street language and phrases!