Pete Lewis

45 minutes ago, mark powell said:

Still wrong....XL    XIX is 19.

Wrong is right, right is wrong.

It isn't 40, as in WD40  but 19 as in 19%

Lets stick to easy questions, such as how deep is a black hole 🚀

In physics for every action or reaction there is an equal opposite action or reaction so: For every black hole sucking matter in isn't there a white hole spitting matter out?

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Lets stick to easy questions, such as how deep is a black hole 🚀

It isn't, since space is apparently flat. So: Star Trek Deep Space 9 is inaccurate. Having said that, I know tall people who live in flats, so maybe the word itself is wrong.

Anyway here's a pic of space, an area of the sky which is a fraction of the entire sky we see that is so small, it's the size of the end of a toothpick when held at arms length. In this pic are two stars, the guys with the spikes of light radiating out round them. Everything else, all those other little glowing things, are galaxies of millions of stars. Amazing, innit? Still reckon we're important in the scheme of things?

xJhfbnbd8nXCxdeiyzDKJH-970-80.thumb.jpg.7255fee6df34b93f591469be540bc831.jpg

16 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

all those other little glowing things, are galaxies of millions of stars. Amazing, innit? Still reckon we're important in the scheme of things?

It is very important.  We are probably the only things looking at this wonder unfold.

Roger (I have a telescope don;t you know)

12 minutes ago, RogerH said:

It is very important.  We are probably the only things looking at this wonder unfold.

Roger (I have a telescope don;t you know)

So... in all of those millions of planets... where the light from some of those galaxies took an estimated 13.2 billion years to reach us... there's no life capable of looking back?

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

So... in all of those millions of planets... where the light from some of those galaxies took an estimated 13.2 billion years to reach us... there's no life capable of looking back?

Hi Colin,

what is life?

much of what you can see out there is so far away in time that it may not even be there 

What are the chances of  any planet being able to support any type of life form that we can understand.

What are the chances that any type of life form is intelligent enough to look out upon the marvel that we can see

It is all about number and chances.

It would be nice to think that there is some one out there.

But it is always possible  that we are it.

Roger

10 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Colin,

what is life?

much of what you can see out there is so far away in time that it may not even be there 

What are the chances of  any planet being able to support any type of life form that we can understand.

What are the chances that any type of life form is intelligent enough to look out upon the marvel that we can see

It is all about number and chances.

It would be nice to think that there is some one out there.

But it is always possible  that we are it.

Roger

I suspect it is far more likely that other, more advanced civilisations across the galaxies struggle with the concept of this planet's life forms being intelligent - I know I often do!

Our first radio broadcasts have only reached about 120 light years from earth - nothing in cosmic terms, so anyone 'out there' probably doesn't know we exist.

Gully

46 minutes ago, Gully said:

I suspect it is far more likely that other, more advanced civilisations across the galaxies struggle with the concept of this planet's life forms being intelligent - I know I often do!

Our first radio broadcasts have only reached about 120 light years from earth - nothing in cosmic terms, so anyone 'out there' probably doesn't know we exist.

Gully

They must have heard my mrs telling me off :( 

Tony.