Pete Lewis

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Colin,

what is life?

What are the chances that any type of life form is intelligent enough to look out upon the marvel that we can see

Well, I'm no astronomer in the professional sense, but in that photo alone there are over 30000000000000 suns, so even if they all have only one planet, and 99.99% of those don't have life, that remaining 1% is still 3000000000 planets on which there MIGHT be life. I'll never meet it, maybe no-one will, but I'd rather have the attitude of 'great!' rather than 'so what'...

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Colin,

what is life?

much of what you can see out there is so far away in time that it may not even be there 

What are the chances of  any planet being able to support any type of life form that we can understand.

What are the chances that any type of life form is intelligent enough to look out upon the marvel that we can see

It is all about number and chances.

It would be nice to think that there is some one out there.

But it is always possible  that we are it.

Roger

It is all about numbers and chances - and also whether its an open or closed universe. If its open, then 100% there will be intelligent life. If closed, there may not be, but probably is, given we know its bigger than what we can see. But then, what is on the other side of the closed universe? 

But whatever is the case, the Earth and us on it are absolutely insignificant cosmically. If we destroyed the earth due to climate change (Not blow it up, that would cause a ripple), it won't affect our solar system, let alone anything outside of it.   

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

But then, what is on the other side of the closed universe? 

Not the 'what is outside space?' question... that really messes with your mind.

I don't agree with the 'parallel universe' idea where there's another universe identical to this one, or many more, with different outcomes; because this means that somewhere there's a universe where I've finished restoring my Heralds, and that's impossible.

An elderly, white-haired man walked into a jewellery store one Friday evening with a beautiful young blonde at his side. He told the jeweller he was looking for a special ring for his girlfriend. The jeweller looked through his stock and brought out a £5,000 ring. The old man said, "No, I'd like to see something more special." At that statement, the jeweller went to his special stock and brought another ring over. "Here's a stunning ring at only £40,000," he said. The young lady's eyes sparkled and her whole body trembled with excitement. The old man seeing this said, "We'll take it." The jeweller asked how payment would be made and the old man stated, "By cheque. I know you need to make sure my cheque clears so I'll write it now, and you can call the bank on Monday morning to verify the funds and I'll pick the ring up on Monday afternoon," he said.. On Monday morning, the jeweller 'phoned the old man and said "Sir, there's no money in that account." "I know," said the old man, "but let me tell you about my weekend!"

All Seniors Aren't Senile

IT  anything driven by IT seems doomed

take luton council now charge £40 pa to empty the garden bin

big plastic non recyclable  tag on the bin  ...you can register in February

.......no you cant not available till 8th

.........the 8th comes and goes on line only  no phone option 

........ register but cant pay   page 404 not available

.......9th  our payment plan system is closed for upgrade

.......  really  ,,,try telephone   town hall    hang on to musick  for 15mins give up 

......  10th re register and pay

just another case of depts  not talking to each other or more of the university of incompetence 

are council staff  just out with the fairies  

sorry should be funny in jokes    Grrrr 

Pete

6 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

sorry should be funny in jokes    Grrrr 

Pete

You are in the right place Pete, 99% of councils are a total joke. The things they get up to are laughable Grrrrr. Council tip only went once to be told "sorry mate it's an odd day today" Sorry? "it's an odd day today your number plate is even" Ok, I will park over there and walk in. "sorry elf n safety" but the place is empty ... "sorry mate rules is rules" And then they worry about fly tipping. W**kers....

Tony.

My wife bought me a Ptarmigan for Christmas. It has such beautiful white plumage.

I made it a coup using an old chest freezer that it seems to like. It should stay white for a good few years I reckon.

Roger