Vitesse Convertible Mk2 Overdrive Wanted

Puglet1

Hello.

I apologise for posting in this section but couldn’t find an alternative.

As the title says, I’m looking for a Vitesse mk2 convertible with overdrive.

I have searched the internet and am looking for the best one currently available.

I may be looking for the impossible but are there any unmolested originals out there?

If so how much am I likely to pay?

Alternatively, a well restored car or similar would also suit.

Thank you in advance.

Pete

One on car and classic, recently restored. Black paintwork. 

If it really is good the 16K pricetag is not stupid. An unrestored one in similar condition would be worth more. 

The very best ones out there would be well into the 20s IF they ever appear for sale. 

9 hours ago, clive said:

One on car and classic, recently restored. Black paintwork. 

If it really is good the 16K pricetag is not stupid. An unrestored one in similar condition would be worth more. 

The very best ones out there would be well into the 20s IF they ever appear for sale. 

Clive and Gary. The black one may be worth a look in the future but I agree with Johny- the bonnet gaps do look large!

Gary. I have contacted the owner of the Valencia blue one and will be doing a 6hr round trip tomorrow to view it.

Pete. Yes, the white one looks good but I can only see one photo of it and am unable to contact the owner. I have paid my fees today but cannot see the owners contact details. I have left a message with the club explaining my difficulty so hopefully Lisa will be able to help me tomorrow.

All. Thank you for your responses and help. Pete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puglet1 said:

I have contacted the owner of the Valencia blue one and will be doing a 6hr round trip tomorrow to view it.

Is that Valencia?. I ask because I have (allegedly) a can of Club Shop Valencia, and it looks decidedly Greener to me?.

image.png.c6d6a2e92cc1db49941e78c3d16266d5.png

Nice to see the Black one has wider Bonnet/Door gaps than I have.

Pete.

3 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Is that Valencia?. I ask because I have (allegedly) a can of Club Shop Valencia, and it looks decidedly Greener to me?.

Pete.

Looks right to me, but lighting and monitors can make a huge difference. 

Yes, the gaps on the black one are a bit out now I have zoomed in. Would need a good look to see how easy it woukd be to adjust, or if a fundamental issue.

Pete H.

I believe it’s Valencia blue but like Clive says it could look different due to lighting angle, camera setting or monitor.

Clive. I think the gaps are far better on the one I’m viewing tomorrow.

To be honest, the black one looks “too good” to me and seems to have lost some character if that makes sense ? Plus the fact that the gaps aren’t as good as I would expect puts me off slightly.

As I have found out on my car, the bonnet gap can be down to the bonnet being too far forward (adjustable), door too far back (adjustable) or the body tub being too far back (set when the body is mounted to the chassis). I have moved the first two as far as possible but, as in most cases, the problem is the last which is much harder to correct😒

25 minutes ago, johny said:

As I have found out on my car, the bonnet gap can be down to the bonnet being too far forward (adjustable), door too far back (adjustable) or the body tub being too far back (set when the body is mounted to the chassis). I have moved the first two as far as possible but, as in most cases, the problem is the last which is much harder to correct😒

That makes perfect sense! Knowing my luck, my guess would be the tub has been set too far back👍

TBF. The bonnet gaps are adjustable from the front pivot point, and by moving the rubber cones in combination. Having the Pivot brackets right way round does help!.

From the guy who spent ???????hrs adjusting gaps on a 13/60 some months back, as matter of fact current they are probably too close.

Paint colour, I am still not convinced as I still see to much Green in it. I saw an (In my view) better ,somewhat darker, almost royal?, blue recently on a TR4, which passed in the other direction on the Beverley Bypass, which is currently attracting my attention, anyone got a clue as to the colour?.

Pete

2 hours ago, johny said:

of course the bonnet is adjustable but only so far and once you reach the limit the only other option is to move the body tub forwards which is why you see so many with wide gaps, mine included🤣

According to the Standard Triumph body build notes, the Front bulkhead section is the only one not adjustable fore/aft, in fact the holes in the bulkhead for the front fixing bolts into the front outriggers offer no adjustment.

Adjustments can be made to the rear Tub, Bonnet and doors.

I spent an age trying to get everything to fit correctly when I rebuilt my old Vitesse, even though the body had never been off the Chassis previously and all the original panels were still fitted (Apart from the sills) it was a Pain in the A**e!

If a car's had replacement panels and repairs, it is even more of a struggle to get everything to align correctly, but can be done with patience.

Gary

6 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

I've just had a look on E-Bay at Lunch time and if you want to consider an option to a Vitesse, how about an uprated Herald 13/60 Convertible with Spitfire Spec Engine and Overdrive, this is a beauty?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155402016656?hash=item242eae9790:g:jFgAAOSwBOVj5jPl 

Gary 

Gary. I agree, that is an absolutely beautiful herald but I prefer the Vitesse.

Thank you for spending your time and effort in helping me with my search 👍

• Like 1

On 17/02/2023 at 20:45, Puglet1 said:

Gary. I agree, that is an absolutely beautiful herald but I prefer the Vitesse.

Thank you for spending your time and effort in helping me with my search 👍

No Problem

How did you get on viewing the Valencia Blue Vitesse on Saturday?

PS - The Gorgeous E-Bay Herald sold for £10,200.00 which is an excellent buy for someone I reckon.

Gary

On 16/02/2023 at 20:44, PeteH said:

Pete.

Having had an assortment of tins of Valencia blue over the past 15 years or so I can say it’s often mixed wrong! The one I’m using on the chassis and underbody at the moment is way too blue. Not that I care too much for under the car. 

Gary. We viewed the Valencia blue on Friday and are viewing a white one tomorrow. I will give feedback on both cars shortly.

Josef. I agree, you can get a massive variation in colour match from one tin to another. As I have never owned a Valencia blue car, I couldn’t tell whether it was the right shade or not. I don’t think an exact colour match on the underside of your car is anything to worry about…… unless you’re a hedgehog crossing the road 😀

• Like 1