vauxhall viva classic wiring problem

foshi

hi just purchased a 1975 viva  , advice please . came with a flat battery so charged up today car fired straight up runs well , the problem i have is no dash display , no warning lights no wipers no indicators . working lights horn temp fuel gauge, put tester on battery not charging has a alternator fitted checked fuses not blown . not sure where to start could it be a earth problem paul

and being a delco dizzy you must check when its all up and running that the rotor spindle is not worn as nobody ever oils the top bush with a squirt can down inside 

viva's were notorious for spindle wear 

there s a felt oiler in the base it has to be Oiled by hand 

Pete

done a check on fuses all ok . cleaned the terminals on the fuse box still the same, noticed a broken terminal on the solenoid found one in the shed but slightly different layout, so have 2 white wires which if i connect the engine will not turn off with the key have tried different positions then nothing when i turn the key .have left disconnected starts on key turns off on key thinking the 2 white wires could be the problem .waiting for a workshop manual can the go through the wiring diagram 

My next (and probably) last main car will be a Tax Exempt one, I hope. Currently looking for a 1984 era, on the cusp, so to speak. Will go through the collection of manuals first as that would enable some maintenance. Only Vauxhall I ever had was a FWD Cavalier Estate. It disolved long ago.

Not much around without considerable corrosion.

Bit like my biking days. Bought the clothing and helmet before buying the bike to go with it. Street cred walking around in 'Rocker' gear and the joy of everyone on the pavement crossing the road to avoid me.

15 hours ago, Wagger said:

My next (and probably) last main car will be a Tax Exempt one, I hope. Currently looking for a 1984 era, on the cusp, so to speak. Will go through the collection of manuals first as that would enable some maintenance. Only Vauxhall I ever had was a FWD Cavalier Estate. It disolved long ago.

Not much around without considerable corrosion.

Bit like my biking days. Bought the clothing and helmet before buying the bike to go with it. Street cred walking around in 'Rocker' gear and the joy of everyone on the pavement crossing the road to avoid me.

I'd still like a Montego Countryman Estate. A Rover 75 Estate possibly, but they're not as cheap to run. Has to be an estate though.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'd still like a Montego Countryman Estate. A Rover 75 Estate possibly, but they're not as cheap to run. Has to be an estate though.

How about a Maestro Van with turbo running gear🤪

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Yes Colin, and there were good diesel versions, sadly now not ULEZ or 'Clean air zone' compliant. Neither is my E61 BMW 520D estate  which has sailed through four MOT's and been totally reiable. Nearly as big as an old Volvo and it does 50 mpg on runs. I'll run it into the ground whilst looking for a replacement. The Rover 75 and MG ZT estates have become a niche collectors piece, and are rare now.

On 14/03/2023 at 16:53, foshi said:

thanks pete will help , i have a collection of various manuals from 70s 80s in similar condition paul

“Bequeathed” to me when my son departed for the USA over 20 years ago.

Pete