Power Steering on a Spitfire? Is it possible?

Indeed, when we toured California last year we hired a Mustang (460bhp, 0-60 under 4 seconds, but needed thrashing to get it to move) and as expected very "American" to drive. Power steering had sports setting, which felt quite normal, and a couple of others. The "comfort" setting was horrendous, you feel nothing when driving. Over assistance is just plain horrible.

Automatically variable assistance seems idea, the one I linked to has 3 levels, 0-15, 15-35 and then 35+mph. Be nice if it were gradual change, but I reckon it will be in steps.

Further to Clive's find http://simonebirchall.co.uk/index.html  This company that fits eps is very good, and i have driven an 1850 Dolomite with their kit fitted, i can only say it's brilliant. It is worth ringing Simon who is very helpfull. He no longer supplies diy kits for safety reasons. The kit fitted to the Dolomite was barely noticeable.

Tony.

On 21/04/2020 at 10:03, clive said:

Indeed, when we toured California last year we hired a Mustang (460bhp, 0-60 under 4 seconds, but needed thrashing to get it to move) and as expected very "American" to drive. Power steering had sports setting, which felt quite normal, and a couple of others. The "comfort" setting was horrendous, you feel nothing when driving. Over assistance is just plain horrible.

Automatically variable assistance seems idea, the one I linked to has 3 levels, 0-15, 15-35 and then 35+mph. Be nice if it were gradual change, but I reckon it will be in steps.

Did you do "Highway 1". I did it in a 32ft R-V and my wife kept telling me to keep eyes on the road!!. (It was a bit hairy on some of the bends I admit)😁

Pete

2 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Did you do "Highway 1". I did it in a 32ft R-V and my wife kept telling me to keep eyes on the road!!. (It was a bit hairy on some of the bends I admit)😁

Pete

Not all of it. Flew in/out of San Francisco. Down Highway 1 to LA, cut up to Death Valley, Yosemite and so on. 3 weeks away, brilliant holiday. But would have preferred a sportscar to the Stang. it just felt heavy and lardy. An MX5 would have been ideal. (we wanted a convertible, so it was the 'stang or VW golf/equivalent)

1 minute ago, clive said:

Not all of it. Flew in/out of San Francisco. Down Highway 1 to LA, cut up to Death Valley, Yosemite and so on. 3 weeks away, brilliant holiday. But would have preferred a sportscar to the Stang. it just felt heavy and lardy. An MX5 would have been ideal. (we wanted a convertible, so it was the 'stang or VW golf/equivalent)

We thoroughly enjoyed our time out there, Bought a 32ft Winnebago in Florida in 2009 and used to go out every year for 6 months. 27 states, 20K miles over 5 years till, we could no longer get medical cover and sold it 2015. More that once looked at buying a classic `tang or a side step pickup, and having it shipped back too!.

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks everyone that has contributed so far. I have tried emailing EZ Power three times now with no responses in over a month, are they no longer trading? 

So it seems it is definitely a goer as far as feasibility is concerned. However, got the sprayed bodyshell back from the body shop and am deeply embroiled in trying to get so many of the  aftermarket rubbish non fitting parts installed. The steering column train is now all fully in, so I think I will put the power steering issue on the back burner for now, get the car built if my sanity will stand it. Then make a decision when I try the car on the road, bit later in the summer. 

Thanks all concerned, issue to be continued!

15 hours ago, JonLow said:

Thanks everyone that has contributed so far. I have tried emailing EZ Power three times now with no responses in over a month, are they no longer trading? 

So it seems it is definitely a goer as far as feasibility is concerned. However, got the sprayed bodyshell back from the body shop and am deeply embroiled in trying to get so many of the  aftermarket rubbish non fitting parts installed. The steering column train is now all fully in, so I think I will put the power steering issue on the back burner for now, get the car built if my sanity will stand it. Then make a decision when I try the car on the road, bit later in the summer. 

Thanks all concerned, issue to be continued!

Hi.

They are still Trading, I am currently negotiating, with Rick, over the supply of a Kit for my 13/60. 

As Per:- Hi Peter, were operating as normal at the moment, and working within government guidelines , and the mail order side of our business is unaffected although deliveries are taking a bit longer

Pete

11 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Jon, I have found any need for PAS on any small chassis Triumoh I have driven even with fat low profile tyres or with a 2.5 hanging out front.

So get the car back together drive it and then decide.

Agreed. 4 cylinder Spitfire with 155 section tyres or even 175 section tyres should have easily manageable steering.

The steering on our cars is somewhat heavier than moderns, which almost universally have PAS these days. Wider tyres make the steering a little heavier still. The problem comes when combining 6-cylinders and the Spitfire so-called "quick" rack. Then, if you're a complete weed like me, don't be surprised to find that you DO desire PAS!

Cheers, Richard

Hi.

I appreciate the "Purist outlook", and the  macho outlook of the young bucks, but in my own case, If and when this ever gets completed, I wish to drive it myself, So the benefit of PAS in one approaching "twilight" years, will be profound!. ( the old "Arthur"(itis) has a lot to answer for!!!).

Pete

15 hours ago, rlubikey said:

The steering on our cars is somewhat heavier than moderns, which almost universally have PAS these days. Wider tyres make the steering a little heavier still. The problem comes when combining 6-cylinders and the Spitfire so-called "quick" rack. Then, if you're a complete weed like me, don't be surprised to find that you DO desire PAS!

Cheers, Richard

True. And I have just such a car. Steering is heavy at parking speeds. Fine once moving, and wonderfully direct.

This isn’t the OPs situation though.  I don’t think anyone is saying don’t do it. Just suggesting to check it’s really needed before open wallet surgery!

Nick

Thanks again everyone that has contributed so far.  I guess best process, as some suggest is to get the car back on the road and then see how heavy it feels and maybe adjust to the method of getting the car moving, then steer.

Then after that the Easysteer and others aren't too intrusive in fitment. But main issue for me is whether my wife could still drive the car. She has had multiple intestinal cut and shut surgeries and two spinal rods and screws surgeries, so I will have to wait and see how things pan out.

Many thanks all. Jon Low

• 3 months later...

Hi

Update on  this:- So I did the deal and the Package was duly delivered (eventually, as the first unit got "lost" in transit. How the hell you can lose a 25Kg Package? it but the carrier did!). Got around to trial fitting this last week and it`s looking like a real goer.

image.thumb.jpeg.ec68051de73da30a6b3f54ac0cbcb4c1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d65826ff1341e1830d0203b0001380cf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1b4d3dfd259e10561c68f6a833b4f4e4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4b3cc0556c1610a103f33528e32acd66.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3a325465bb7c198089ea68c7bb7f2a64.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5521afc54952a2e6be06f10fb4d3e7a5.jpeg

I`ve dropped one of the MX5 seats in loose and the driving position looks good and feels right. with some room for adjustment. and importantly clearance for the feet and the Pedals. Next job is to fabricate holding brackets and a Torque Arm which I think will connect to the RH frame through to two bolts holding the Dash frame.

Pete

• Like 2

• 1 month later...