GT6 Engine Return Basics

AidanT

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Help and advice ice please.

Trying to put in a new crank spigot Bush to my replacement engine but I can't get it past the flywheel!

When I feel inside I can feel a lip behind the flywheel and the end of the crank.

Is this normal?

Can I just take the flywheel back off and fit the bush, or do I somehow have the wrong Bush (a canleys purchase)

TIA

Aidan 

Edited by AidanT

3 minutes ago, johny said:

Does the crank hole feel bigger than the flywheel hole ie is there a lip?

Yes, definitely a larger hole in the crank. 

In the back of my mind  I was pretty sure, that when Mike Papworth fitted a clutch and rebuilt gearbox for me, he also fitted a new bush. The flywheel wasn't removed.

Mind you, my brain is getting old!!

Aidan

Garage built about three years ago now  6m X 6m so good room for workshop plus I'm one of those guys who still thinks a garage is to park your cars in, so able to park the X3 in as well.

Not sure about tidy, that pic was just after finishing, I'm a bit ocd with tools, so tidy now!

The Mrs wants to move now I'm about to retire- grrr.....

Posted (edited)

Hi

So engine nearly in but fighting me and I don't know why

First question is do I have yhf mount brackets the right way round?

Second - whats the best way to square up the engine? Don't know if you can see in the picture but the mount is a little out and I'd bending and I'm struggling to get thd bolts in

TIA 

20240510_165016.jpg

Edited by AidanT

21 minutes ago, trigolf said:

Looks like your engine mount brackets are the wrong way round. 

Thanks, 

I think I've come to the same conclusion. All I can say is its a blooming tight fit !!

Time to swap them over !!

3 minutes ago, johny said:

Yes the way to tell is feel the cut out in the underside of the sump pan which should line up with the rack and I dont think thats the case in the photo...  

What should the gap be from the sump?

Thx

11 hours ago, johny said:

From memory rack to sump is about 1 - 2cm depending on the state of your mounts?  

OK thanks

Mounts were changed 3 to 4 years ago but unknown quality- look OK to me

• AidanT changed the title to GT6 Engine Return Basics

Well thank you all for your help so far. The rebuilt replacement engine is now bolted in place Phew!!!

So ancillaries are next, any thoughts on which order or doesn't it matter? 

Just to say this engine has yet to be fired up - my thoughts were to fit the basics to allow that ne to step.

Aidan

I think you might as well do all ancilliaries as the work required for them is small compared with getting the engine/box back out and stripped if theres something wrong😭

Perhaps then drive it before replacing the gearbox cover...

Next problem....

I can't get the exhaust downpipe to align with the manifold, it's about 10mm out, and seems to be obstructed from moving any further forward due to the suspension structure. I've already reversed the engine mounts which moved the engine forward but this would suggest the engine needs moving back.

Advice please!!

Thats strange because in your photo above swopping the engine brackets should have pushed the engine further back not forward. Is the cut out in its sump pan now aligned with the rack?

7 minutes ago, johny said:

Thats strange because in your photo above swopping the engine brackets should have pushed the engine further back not forward. Is the cut out in its sump pan now aligned with the rack?

Your right it did! But I'm still left with this misalignment. 

Tried fitting the downpipe to the manifold first  but that didn't work.

Do I have to dismantle the exhaust system or try to bend it into shape??  It just seems that it doesn't want to fit any more! Grrr

Suggestions please

Aidan