Differential output shaft seal

rogerguzzi

Hello All

I am in the process of rebuilding my Spitfire differential, I purchased a kit of bearings and seals to do the job.

But I have a problem the output shaft seals supplied are 1.062" i/d x 1.625" o/d x 0.375 but were the seal sits on my shafts is 1.125" dia.

I contacted the supplier but they say this is what they have always supplied?

So are they wrong or do I have some non standard output shafts?

Looking on various sites they all list as part no 117952.

The number on old ones is MFC SOAO 1300

Roger

Hello All

I am in the process of rebuilding my Spitfire differential, I purchased a kit of bearings and seals to do the job.

But I have a problem the output shaft seals supplied are 1.062" i/d x 1.625" o/d x 0.375 but were the seal sits on my shafts is 1.125" dia.

I contacted the supplier but they say this is what they have always supplied?

So are they wrong or do I have some non standard output shafts?

Looking on various sites they all list as part no 117952.

The number on old ones is MFC SOAO 1300

Roger

Hello Roger

As I understand you, the new seals are about 63thou undersize and I would have thought that should be right for a lip seal. I'd be interested to hear what our Gurus have to say. 

rgds

John

most suppliers show 3 shafts   early  up to 67   and after 67  

1V. makes a third shaft   yes all show 117952 as the common seal  

i recon up to 67 is 25mm dia shaft    after 67  26mmm and mkIV 28mm dia   thats the base shaft dia.  all seem to have the same seal diameter

the new seal must have a reasonable lip force and fitting a lip seal of 1.062  onto a seal diameter od 1.125" is not unreasonable ,  a coat of grease and a good hand pressure it should pop on fine 

it depends what spitfire you have as to what shaft is used but the seals are all common

Pete

Hello All

More news on my seal problem.

I still think these are the wrong seals? So I sent for a pair from Moss along with some other parts I wanted.
Their seal is a different type in that is is not rubber covered but that makes no difference, but after careful measuring they measure 1.080" i/d were as the kit one measures 1.035" i/d

I tried one out of the kit on the shaft and it is very tight to the extent that you can hardly turn it, were as the Moss one  feels about right.

I have attached a photo so you may be able to see the difference.

Roger

post-44-0-90901000-1455272495_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-02579100-1455272504_thumb.jpg