Bonnet staining

Car has been laid up for the winter period and on axle stands for that time. When I took the covers off (x 2), I appear to have had some staining on the bonnet. Before laying up car was washed and left to dry before being polished (used MER). Both covers are in very good condition, and do not let any water in. I cannot understand what has caused this. Car is against the pine-end of the house which effectively shelters the car from all the rain etc.

First picture was taken just after polishing, before winter period, the second picture is ‘as found’ when the covers were removed just over 10 days ago. Tried some T-Cut, gently, but doesn’t seem to have any effect to remove the staining.

Any suggestions, advice or guidance much appreciated?

IMG_20230905_085235.jpg

IMG_20240510_094703_resized_20240510_015155090.jpg

Looks like water/moisture marks. Had this on cars painted in cellulose. Usually polishes  out with Tcut but takes some effort. Do you know if the car has been repainted, and if so cellulose or 2k and how long ago.

I've always found that it's more common on red cars, as I've had a few of those and my GT6 Mk3 suffered very badly. You can buy water spot remover, I've no idea what it's made of, but have also heard that vinegar works too. 

From the records I have, the original colour of the car was brown. It has had several paintings over the years by other owners, and the previous owner had it painted the Java Green, supplied by International Applications, (I think they do boat paints).   I'll have look at water spot remover, and there's fish and chips for tea tonight so there's a vinegar option!

• Haha 2

I had this on my red spit after 2cweeks under a cover when I was working on my garage. I was told to leave it out in the hot sun and it will disappear. I did and it did disappear.  Problem is finding a hot sunny day.

Danny

18 hours ago, Piglet said:

Avoid that water spot remover. It's expensive and does nothing. Ask me how I know...😄

Alex

The best recommendations come from those who know. My cupboards both in home and garage are full of dedicated products that weren't, but you find that the hard way. Latest product of shame is Weedkiller, which promises visible results within 24 hours but two weeks later the weeds are all bigger and waving at me as I pass by. It might work on paint spots, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Best weedkiller is homemade. Get a litre of vinegar (the brown malt stuff and as cheap as chips lol) add a few squirts of washing up liquid and a couple of table spoons of salt. Shake. Spray liberally. Dead weeds in 2-3 days.

Alex

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Piglet said:

Get a litre of vinegar (the brown malt stuff

Here we use white wine vinegar, that way it doesn't stain the weeds brown. 🙄

While on the subject of treating weeds, yesterday I started to spray some in the gravel and the sprayer lever on the handle broke. As I had an old one that had other problems I thought I'd replace the attachment. After dismantling them I found they weren't compatible 🤬 Then thought would the pump mechanism from the newer one fit the old one. Yes. So I had wasted a good 1/4 of an hour for a repair that took less than 1 minute.

I agree modern weedkillers are very effective, they cost a small fortune and you have to use them more often. Recently been trying a flame thrower thing on them, jury still out on the subject.

All the decent weedkillers have been removed from the (Domestic) market for some years. (elf and safety😬)I found weedol to be one of the "better" ones freely available BUT it needs putting on in dry conditions and takes up to 2 weeks before you see any effect. AND it`s not cheap. Sadly Sodium Chlorate is no longer available. Had some for year`s courtesy of FIL`s Garage clearance in the 70`s. Dangerous stuff though, could spontaneously catch fire or even explode. But it killed everything nothing grew for about 5 years. Allegedly used by certain paramillitaries to make car/barrel bomb`s?. It`s like decent Rat Poison, Hard to come by, and you (in theory) have to be "licenced".

Pete

Paramilitaries?  I used it to make bombs in my youth! My lips are sealed on the recipe, but with added metals (magnesium,iron filings, aluminium) in a open tube it made fine fireworks and Roman Candles too!

John

30 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Paramilitaries?  I used it to make bombs in my youth! 

John

I just want to kill a few weeds, not create a no-man's land. The flowerbed may be slightly overgrown but a smoking crater is no alternative.

• Haha 1

Almost forgot about the main topic!

I have found a solution to bonnet stains and even fine cracks in the paintwork. Either a respray or (this does work honestly) use grinding paste. Put it on like you would T Cut, takes ages to do but the results are amazing. If I could post pics I'd show you what I mean.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155790410083

It also works on cleaning plastic headlights on more modern cars.

Alex

You could try a cutting compound, one which is more abrasive than t cut. Best to look online on what is suitable 

I have used 3M products which I find the best with good results.

By coincidence I have found a tube of Farecla at the back of my shelving. Forgotten all about it, but T-Cut made only a slight difference. Bring on the hot sunny days. Haven't tried it as a weed killer yet, but hey, who knows!!

• Like 1