Auto - dimming mirror problem

A few months ago, the self-dimming interior rear view mirror on my 2011,  118,000 mile Freelander 2 looked a bit  patchy /blurred.

I gave it a wipe.It did nothing to help.

Strangely, the  blurring seemed to be on the “other side ‘’ of the glass.

It wasn’t that bad, so I ignored it.

Unfortunately,  It got steadily worse.

3431C4F3-548A-4881-831E-9EE19977A342.thumb.jpeg.90e31d5fa13d61736e469dcdac17c63a.jpeg

The cause was something entirely  new  - to me.

- In case I’m not the last person to  know about this :

It seems   that the problem is down to some    ‘Magna Donnelly ‘ auto- dimming mirrors.

They  were/ are fitted as original equipment to a very wide range  of vehicles - mainly BMW, Lexus ,Ford, LandRover etc.

The mirrors contain a ‘photo- chromatic’    gel in a thin layer on the inside of of the glass whose opacity is altered by the passage of a small electrical current across it.This current is dependent on a photo-cells  influenced by the level of ambient light from in front and from light sources from behind -ie  a following car’s headlights.

Small  leaks cause little patchy areas as air gets in and replaces little  pockets of the gel.

Apart from the fuzzy image, larger  leaks can cause another problem - it can be very destructive to plastic trim and leather.It is not very human- friendly either,it seems.

New mirrors can be   expensive from dealers.

They can contain other sensors -e.g  humidity sensor.*

(Rimmer's replacement is  over £400! ) 

There are other sources-  I managed to get one from PowerfulUK.com for £45 incVAT.

*The formula  ‘ 2 FC /2 ‘

applies to much of the unnecessary, increasing complexity of car electronics

… ( too f. clever by half )

Edited by Unkel Kunkel

There's an ad for a modern on TV that states that the car has 24 / 28 (or thereabouts) driver assisting thingies. I can't help thinking: firstly - what does the driver actually do - and secondly: they'll all fail and be expensive to replace some day.

28 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

There's an ad for a modern on TV that states that the car has 24 / 28 (or thereabouts) driver assisting thingies. I can't help thinking: firstly - what does the driver actually do - and secondly: they'll all fail and be expensive to replace some day.

The French needs even more help a TV commercial claims 'upto 32'. My reaction was much the same as yours.

by the time ive switched all mine Off     i have forgotten where  i was planning to go out !!!!

thats when the touch screen nightmare actually works and it can see through the multiple finger prints 

the heater has a quick action button and actual knobs to twiddle ,but the too close ,brake  did you mean to change lanes, self steering and such are just there to aid 60 years of trouble free driving    Grrrr!!!

driving the 2000 is almost relaxing 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

I can understand certain add-ons for certain drivers, but I do worry that they're going to be seen as essentials some day and anything without will be penalised. Automatic dimming headlamps may save dazzling other drivers but they're really only filling in for an inconsiderate driver who can't be bothered or who is not concentrating enough to dip. It seems that today's driver listens to the vehicle, and presses a button to agree with what the vehicle tells them, rather than watching the road and reacting accordingly. It used to be: "don't drive when tired" now it's: "your car will detect when you fall asleep at the wheel and wake you up again."