Fathers Day

Richeee

I got a video call and chat with grandsons Nos. 1 and 3, who have grown a whole bucketful of new potatoes!   Yum!   But their carrots are tiny, less than your  (or their!) little fingers.   Any advice for these young gardeners?

John

19 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Lucky you. I got a Terry's Chocolate Orange and had to pay for my lunch out as her card didn't work...!

This always happens to me, we go out to eat and I get the bill, Happy Fathers Day.

This year I refused to go out and ordered Spaghetti Mare E Monti, Spaghetti with Mussels, spinach , clams, king prawns, squid, tomatoes, mushrooms and garlic in White wine. My favourite.

Paid for by my oldest daughter because I replaced the glow plugs in her Merc 2 weeks ago.

Steve

In Germany Fathers' Day is always on "Ascension" (when Jesus gets a lift to go to Heaven) so it is always a day off and often on my birthday.

In the former East Germany it was call "Männertag" (Men' Day) so anyone with a Y chromosome or identifying as one could "celebrate" it.

How is it celebrated?

Traditionally they take a get a toy wagon, the larger the better and fill it with beer and walk around often listening to "Schlager" (German-language hit music) until they all collapse from exhaustion, inebriation, disorderly conduct or all of the above.

No real family involvement except maybe picking up the male person from a hospital or police station...

My family doesn't do this and I am told in Northern Germany it isn't common either.

I try to get to kids to buy my gifts but they are selective as to when they celebrate a holiday the German or American way....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

In Germany Fathers' Day is always on "Ascension" (when Jesus gets a lift to go to Heaven) so it is always a day off and often on my birthday.

In the former East Germany it was call "Männertag" (Men' Day) so anyone with a Y chromosome or identifying as one could "celebrate" it.

How is it celebrated?

Traditionally they take a get a toy wagon, the larger the better and fill it with beer and walk around often listening to "Schlager" (German-language hit music) until they all collapse from exhaustion, inebriation, disorderly conduct or all of the above.

Sounds almost worth having kids🤔

• Haha 1

DVD,  I thought, surely the word 'schlager' comes from what's on the trolley?   But, no!   The Wiki informs ne that it comes from 'schlagen', to hit, in terms of a musical success rather than fighting.    All rather low key, I'm glad to say,  especially after the renewed excesses during the European Cup.

Any other national Father's Day celebrations?

John

Edited by JohnD

8 minutes ago, JohnD said:

John

Many a man has celebrated NOT being a Father... :)

One recent FB post I read concerned a girl who had taken THREE pregnancy tests, all positive, and was now crying that she couldn't afford to look after three kids... :)

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Many a man has celebrated NOT being a Father... :)

One recent FB post I read concerned a girl who had taken THREE pregnancy tests, all positive, and was now crying that she couldn't afford to look after three kids... :)

I have two adopted sons and one stepson. The stepson sent me a text and the other two called me at opposite ends of the day. I have been rewarded far more than some biological fathers. Must have done something right then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wagger said:

I have two adopted sons and one stepson. The stepson sent me a text and the other two called me at opposite ends of the day. I have been rewarded far more than some biological fathers. Must have done something right then.

That's the greatest reward of all. You certainly seem to have done it right!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JohnD said:

DVD,  I thought, surely the word 'schlager' comes from what's on the trolley?   But, no!   The Wiki informs ne that it comes from 'schlagen', to hit, in terms of a musical success rather than fighting.    All rather low key, I'm glad to say,  especially after the renewed excesses during the European Cup.

John

Indeed the German word for "hit" is indeed... well... hit... the French call them "tubes" I can only imagine because your ears have tubes?!?!?

As with most things here they use English words to sound "cool" though they slightly missed the mark by calling mobile phones "Handys"... And don't get me started on the plural form of some words... "partys", "storys",. etc.

Mind you my cousin in upper state New York who actually studied English makes more mistakes in her grammar than bonobo on meth with a typewriter...