Replacing the rubber seal between the windscreen surround and bulkhead on a GT6 Mk2

Responding to the thread on a replacement windscreen surround reminded me of a fellow club member here who has an issue with a rotten windscreen surround to bulkhead rubber  seal on a GT6 Mk2

The member has a lot of experience with Triumph's but this issue has him stymied as to how does he get enough space/play to fit a new rubber as unlike the Vitesse where the front and rear tubs can be undone to get space the GT6 is semi monoque with the roof to back and floors to bulkhead all welded up! How do you spread the gap between roof and bulkhead wider to enable the windscreen frame surround to be displaced enough to remove the old and fit a new seal. I suggested to just jack the roof up from the floor/ door sills, but was down cried by other club members?

Can TCCV members advise how they have done it SAFELY! 

This GT6 has been in the immediate family here in Aus from being a year old, originally purchased by his dad to race, but his mother on seeing it for the first time said a positive NO it's too good for that, and took ownership of it for life, finally leaving it to her son, it gets used relatively frequently in rotation with my old Sprint, Brad loves his Triumphs, currently doing up his uncle's TR3.   

Also as the owner of a MK2 GT6, I've never had to do this, but your post made intrigued and I Googled it. There's some instructions here for the top seal, but I imagine it's the same for the lower one :

roof to windscreen seal : Spitfire & GT6 Forum : The Triumph Experience

As expected, to quote them, "Replacement is fairly involved."

Russell.

Edited by Russell1972
clarify it's top seal.
  • Thanks 1

I replace mine i think in 2010 ish. The screen surround was rotten and needed repairs. Just a fiddly job.  Needed to remove the padded dash top to get to the lower screen surround bolts from memory. Bolted at the top so roof lining had to be peeled back. The surround was unlike my mk3 spit frame as it didn't have the long threaded studs at the corners. Pulled out the complete screen surround repaired and refitted with new seals. I probably took some photos at the time, Ill have a look.

The entire screen panel unscrews and lifts off - I did it in my MK1. There are securing screws along the top edge and along the bottom, visible when the headlining and dashboard padded cover is removed. Long time since I did it (2003??) so working from faded memory but you'll need to remove the screen anyway and this will expose the other ends of the bolts / nuts that are usually hidden - I think there are six? Two top, four lower. Open to correction!

Thanks all, I'd assumed the windscreen was the same as the Spitfire ie 2 legs bolted into the A posts, but not so 4 bolts along the bottom length of the frame so easier to swivel the whole frame out. I'll advise my fellow club member.

Thanks again