Steering Wheel Refurb Vitesse mk2

Currently using 13ins “sports” steering wheel. Considering refurbing the original which came with the car . Most of the paint is missing . Any tips as to making it look good again 

IMG_0947.thumb.jpeg.24de84ed509741a3e4aca9650d26a2a0.jpeg

Paul

I would check for cracks, where the steel rods enter the bakelite part at the rim ,particularly on the rear face. I found cracks on my wheel yrs ago, so filled cracks with araldite which seems to be holding up well.

5 minutes ago, trigolf said:

I would check for cracks, where the steel rods enter the bakelite part at the rim ,particularly on the rear face. I found cracks on my wheel yrs ago, so filled cracks with araldite which seems to be holding up well.

Yes I have small cracks which will be filled with araldite 

Paul 

18 hours ago, Paul H said:

Currently using 13ins “sports” steering wheel. Considering refurbing the original which came with the car . Most of the paint is missing . Any tips as to making it look good again 

IMG_0947.thumb.jpeg.24de84ed509741a3e4aca9650d26a2a0.jpeg

Paul

Interesting my 68 Mk2 Vitesse which I've owned since 1970 has it's original equipment leather rimmed steering wheel, I assume bakelite under the leather 

The Bakelite where the spokes are bonded in are in very good condition no cracks and the bakelite is still shiny black. The leather is still intact but worn in places I do rub leather conditioner into the leather periodically. I do cover it with a slip over reflective silver steering wheel protector when out in the sun.

I did use a Montery wood rimmed steering wheel for years, but lost it to my daughters 66 Mk2 Spitfire, when her aftermarket small leather thick rimmed wheel looked a little worse for wear! Unfortunately, she loves it!

My Dolly Sprint's original baketite steering wheel was recovered in near original style leather professionally around 2000, so it was still a thin rimmed wheel and that's still like new.

Those spoked wheels (not to be confused with the very similar TR item) I think came from the factory in plain and leather covered versions although not sure where each was fitted...

My 71 Vitesse has the original leather covered three spoke steering wheel. Makes parking easier than with a smaller wheel, and being quite thin still leaves plenty of clearence between wheel and thighs. Only down side for me is there is some flex, spring, by the nature of design, where a solid, slightly smaller, thicker wheel makes the steering feel tighter, more direct to me.

1 minute ago, Mark B said:

My 71 Vitesse has the original leather covered three spoke steering wheel. Makes parking easier than with a smaller wheel, and being quite thin still leaves plenty of clearence between wheel and thighs. Only down side for me is there is some flex, spring, by the nature of design, where a solid, slightly smaller, thicker wheel makes the steering feel tighter, more direct to me.

My Vitesse mk 2 is a Bitza - is the steering wheel correct for a mk2 

IMG_0947.thumb.jpeg.2ad94c43a0ec33cf87f65d241d3edfc2.jpeg

Paul

Just now, trigolf said:

From here, it looks correct. Was the leather cover missing?

No leather cover when I got it . This was with the spares when I bought the car. 
Paul 

1 minute ago, Paul H said:

No leather cover when I got it . This was with the spares when I bought the car. 
Paul 

Time to trawl ebay for a new cover I guess!

There is at least one company ( Myrtle??) that completely replaces bakelite rims, if your feeling flush- no idea of cost mind...🤔

Just now, trigolf said:

Time to trawl ebay for a new cover I guess!

There is at least one company ( Myrtle??) that completely replaces bakelite rims, if your feeling flush- no idea of cost mind...🤔

The rim is in good condition though would need some prepping then painting . I’ve seen leather covers for about £30

Paul 

6 hours ago, Paul H said:

My Vitesse mk 2 is a Bitza - is the steering wheel correct for a mk2 

Here's the one on my Vitesse. Yours could have come off a Vitesse, and the leather has been removed, or possibly off a mk3 Spit, the same as the Vitesse,  but minus the leather wrapping as originally fitted. Think the Vitesse was regarded as a bit 'posher' back in the day.

IMG_1024.jpg

• Like 1

As said My Dolly Sprint had the steering wheel leather replaced professionally ie thin leather and a thin rim as original it is stitched on and looks like Mark B's example (& my Vitesse Mk2), whereas the $30 aftermarket versions I used in my youth were usually laced on & can overtime become loose which is not only annoying as the cover slips around the steering wheel as you twist your hands on the wheel, this is a MOT failure here in Aus!

Have recovered a couple of steering wheels using offcuts of leather from an upholsterers, when stitching, using prepunched holes, l glued short lengths using clear impact adhesive and stitched before the glue had time to set. A line marked to follow is a good idea as difficult to keep the seam straight.

The aluminium centre l cleaned back to metal and used an etch primer followed by high build and gloss black.

Regards

Paul.

IMG_2024-07-15-21-12-02-600.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Have recovered a couple of steering wheels using offcuts of leather from an upholsterers, when stitching, using prepunched holes, l glued short lengths using clear impact adhesive and stitched before the glue had time to set. A line marked to follow is a good idea as difficult to keep the seam straight.

The aluminium centre l cleaned back to metal and used an etch primer followed by high build and gloss black.

Regards

Paul.

IMG_2024-07-15-21-12-02-600.jpg

That looks great, I've got the original wheel with my car (It's currently fitted with a 14" Motolita wood rimed wheel).

Maybe a job for the winter.

Gary

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2024 at 09:59, johny said:

Oh no its got to be a wood rimmed les leston jobbie for that😳

I have one if anyone is interested, very good condition. Brought it and fitted to my Herald but did not like it... :(

mike

Hi Guys

A few weeks ago, I spent quite a bit of time researching how to restore steering wheels. I spent ages watching YouTube videos to see if I dared to try restoring the wheel myself - when I decided I was not going to do that, I then trawled the net and made a few phone calls while looking for companies who would do the job for me.

The bottom line is there are quite a few companies who will do a restoration for you but they are not cheap - if your wheel is just cosmetic and has no cracking or damage then the easy way is to do as others have said, by have a go yourself or shelling out some cash after talking to a trimmer. I know of saddlers, leather workers and furniture restorers who makes extra cash by doing little repair jobs on cars - they are worth talking to!

Sadly, my cars steering wheel is about had it, as the 69 year old plastic looks it’s age and is starting to crack or has cracked at the root ends of the spokes.

The cost of the restoration is a problem at the moment - “after market” wheels are a lot cheaper than having the wheel restored, so for now, my car is fitted with a wheel out of a catalogue! 

Eric