New Arrival - BYK 309H Vitesse MK2 Convertible

After searching for the right car for well over a year, enquiring about 41 cars, viewing 11 and making offers on 3 I've finally got another Vitesse in my Garage😊

Does anyone know any history regarding who restored this car, I was told it was a home restoration done around 2009 and was previously sold by TRGB and possibly a Classic car dealer called Minchin's I believe near Chichester.

A few photos

Gary 

1. Offloading.jpg

4. Handover.jpg

2. In the Garage.jpg

3. Rear three Quarter.jpg

• Like 5

Nice Trailer. Used to have a similar one.

All jokes aside it does look in decent condition. Now all we need is some weather fit for open top motoring. I`m one of those who does like the look of wire wheels on that body, even if they are a pig to keep clean. Makes me feel better that your hood as wrinkles, I thought it was just mine!. Anyway, never mind the ballcocks, Just enjoy!!👍. Looking at  your Garage, makes me ashamed of mine. I`m off to tidy it up😟.

Pete

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Nice Trailer. Used to have a similar one.

All jokes aside it does look in decent condition. Now all we need is some weather fit for open top motoring. I`m one of those who does like the look of wire wheels on that body, even if they are a pig to keep clean. Makes me feel better that your hood as wrinkles, I thought it was just mine!. Anyway, never mind the ballcocks, Just enjoy!!👍. Looking at  your Garage, makes me ashamed of mine. I`m off to tidy it up😟.

Pete

Yes, the hood wrinkles on the Quarterlight windows are a common thing with replacement hoods and a tad annoying.

I know when the cars where new, the hoods fitted correctly with no wrinkles, I'll live with it for now but would eventually like a Mohair hood and I would probably get it fitted professionally

I've not been out in it as yet, but will be doing a few local shows to get used to it.   

The verdicts still open on the Wires and the Twin exhausts, I may change them for a set of Alloys (Cosmic Mk2 or Revolution 4 Spoke Alloys) and also put a standard single Silence back on it.

No doubt I'll find other things to do to, the steering wheels does have an annoying squeak, I think it just needs adjusting slightly though.

I was hoping someone may know a bit of history about the car?

Gary

Looks great! Your soft top fits well along the top of the rear wings. The repro ones I've seen, and the one I bought are to short in this area, leaving a gap. Also yours is constructed as my original Triumph fitted soft top. The rear, top and side panels all butt up where they join as aposed to overlapping. Overlapping joins creates a step and forces the chrome strip over the back window to stand proud over the seam above the quarter lights, and when folded down digs into the quarter widow.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mark B said:

Looks great! Your soft top fits well along the top of the rear wings. The repro ones I've seen, and the one I bought are to short in this area, leaving a gap. Also yours is constructed as my original Triumph fitted soft top. The rear, top and side panels all butt up where they join as aposed to overlapping. Overlapping joins creates a step and forces the chrome strip over the back window to stand proud over the seam above the quarter lights, and when folded down digs into the quarter widow.

Mark

Yes, I've had problems in the past with hoods either being too narrow or too wide!

I have no idea who manufactured or fitted the hood.

I will be using a small towel to protect the rear window and quarter lights when I fold the hood away, because as you mention the Quarter lights can be damaged by the Stainless finisher edges or screw when folding away.

I need to give the car a good check over, although whoever restored it would appear to have made a great job, the Panel fit is one of the best I've viewed. 

Regards

Gary 

1 hour ago, Gary Flinn said:

The verdicts still open on the Wires and the Twin exhausts,

Love the wires. **

Hate the wheelbarrows - and I haven't even heard them yet.

Cheers, Richard

** I don't have to clean them!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

Yes, the hood wrinkles on the Quarterlight windows are a common thing with replacement hoods and a tad annoying.

I know when the cars where new, the hoods fitted correctly with no wrinkles, I'll live with it for now but would eventually like a Mohair hood and I would probably get it fitted professionally

I've not been out in it as yet, but will be doing a few local shows to get used to it.   

The verdicts still open on the Wires and the Twin exhausts, I may change them for a set of Alloys (Cosmic Mk2 or Revolution 4 Spoke Alloys) and also put a standard single Silence back on it.

No doubt I'll find other things to do to, the steering wheels does have an annoying squeak, I think it just needs adjusting slightly though.

I was hoping someone may know a bit of history about the car?

Gary

BY numbers are originally Birmingham. H suffix would be 1970?. Trouble being of course it could have been anywhere in the intervening years. ?

Pete

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, PeteH said:

BY numbers are originally Birmingham. H suffix would be 1970?. Trouble being of course it could have been anywhere in the intervening years. ?

Pete

Pete

I thought you took the last two letter YK, which I believe was a London Registration?

Gary

Edited by Gary Flinn

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rlubikey said:

Love the wires. **

Hate the wheelbarrows - and I haven't even heard them yet.

Cheers, Richard

** I don't have to clean them!

They don't seem as loud as some I've heard and are fitted well (Not too low).

They still might have to go though, far too boy racer for me 😁😁

The verdicts still open on the Chrome Wires🤔

Gary

Edited by Gary Flinn

we got rid of the wheel barrows soon after fitting them  sounds more like a whining hair drier a swap to a single semi sports made a crisp and exhaust to die for not 

one you needed to hide from .

great panel fits  its obviously never been a triumph   Ha !

good luck i think your patience is rewarded 

Pete

• Like 1

This is not AI...It`s my Herald with period Dunlop LP923 wheels, hate wires. My Vitesse has period 4 spoke Revo`s. I had wheel barrows too on my Vitesse, the last MOT I went for, as he drove over the pit, the exhaust caught on the edge and ripped the two bobbin mounts and the whole wheel barrow ended up on the floor.

S

20170218_132647.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/07/2024 at 14:35, Gary Flinn said:

Pete

I thought you took the last two letter YK, which I believe was a London Registration?

Gary

Yes you are right?. I don`t know why I got it the wrong way?. KH was a Hull Reg, and I had an old van with RKH 775. Dohhhhhh!!

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Well done Gary! Nice car, but steel wheels and standard exhaust for me. Love the garage, looks better than my lounge.  :(

Doug

Doug

I'm just in the process of pricing up what's involved with changing the wheels, I've got someone local who's got a set of 4 Vitesse 4.5J Rims for sale that need refurbishing?

I've made an offer, the trouble is it will costs £10 a wheel to have the old tyres removed and disposed of, I've had another quote of £40 per wheel to blast and stove enamel paint them, then there's the cost of new tyres £50 each at least no doubt.

So I'm up to £400 already without buying the rims!

Then, I've got to try and find some A1+ or N.O.S. Ro-style wheel trims, how long will that take and cost?! 

A period set of Alloys maybe a cheaper and quicker route, JB Wheels do period ones for between £400 to £500 with tyres

Decisions, decisions?

Gary  

29 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

for a better stability and tyre selection upping to 5 or 5.5 J  sets the car off nicely 

Triumph Vitesse - GBD 142B

Pete

Pete

Yes, I fitted 5.5J Dunlop D1 Alloys to my old Vitesse, it looked the business.

I do like the look of the original Ro-style trims too though, just fighting with my conscious to see if I like them that much to spend ££££ and fit them?

I suppose I should be able to re-coup most of the money (If not more) by selling on the Chrome wires, Tyres, Hubs, Spinners etc.

Looking at the Rimmers Website it's near on £2K now for a set of Chrome wires with all the fittings and that excludes the tyres.

As I say, decisions, decisions.🫣

Gary 

D1's May 2015.jpg

Rostyles 2007.jpg