Quarter Light Mirrors - Herald/Vitesse

I've noticed on my new purchase that I don't have any Wing or Door mirrors fitted.

I'm thinking it will probably be wise to fit some additional mirrors besides the usual one, as rear vision is restricted with the roof up.

I don't really want to drill the wings or doors for mirrors, so I was thinking of getting some of the type that clamp onto the Quarter-lights

Does anyone have any experience of these type, are round or oblong types better and do they work well and stay secure.

Regards

Gary   

4 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

I've noticed on my new purchase that I don't have any Wing or Door mirrors fitted.

I'm thinking it will probably be wise to fit some additional mirrors besides the usual one, as rear vision is restricted with the roof up.

I don't really want to drill the wings or doors for mirrors, so I was thinking of getting some of the type that clamp onto the Quarter-lights

Does anyone have any experience of these type, are round or oblong types better and do they work well and stay secure.

Regards

Gary   

I’ve got one on the drivers quarter light ( oblong )  . Works a treat and wouldn’t be without it - Vitesse 

Paul 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I’ve got one on the drivers quarter light ( oblong )  . Works a treat and wouldn’t be without it - Vitesse 

Paul 

Any Photo's Paul?

I presume it clamps on with a couple of Allen Screws.

Gary

Legal requirement to have more than one mirror in some countries I believe. I have a 4" round clip on fitted to my vitesse and it works well although dont think another on the passenger side would be much good. Mines flat but you can get convex which might be even better although will change distance perception...

• Like 1

Be careful they don't drop off; both my GT6 had an identical chip on the doors after the mirror dropped off! They are great though, close to your eyes so you can see well behind. I've become very used to wing mirrors now, but depending on the style they can seem very far away.

I found this one in my garage recently; very solid, great rearward vision but it might clunk cyclists if they overtake me. I only went out to take a photo and ended up dismantling it to replace the rusty screws and trying it for size on some of the other cars.

IMG_8895.jpeg.046932094ba55d21ce881de5451eb428.jpeg IMG_8896.jpeg.a3ea847917f3dfb4c81796e517ecff1f.jpeg

• Like 1

I have mirrors on the wings, limited vision, not very good! But improved with convex mirrors. The best place for mirrors is on the doors, not least you can adjust them as you sit!

Doug

• Like 1

I would like a rectangular mirror but if possible with it set wide rather than vertical to catch anything in the blind spot. Of course the creme de la creme is an original Desmo like this but too expensive....

image.png.af9982db08e5bc59a53d4100d1b46021.png

I fitted one to drivers side gt6 quarter light. Ok, but still prefer rear mirror and glance over my shoulder if pulling out. They can vibrate as not that well supported, just grub screws. It came loose twice so used locktite. I fitted a door mirror to the Vitesse, much better, but I did have to drill the door.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Have bonnet mirrors on my Vitesse, useless never in proper adjustment, fitted a quarter light mirror years ago.

Regards

Paul.

IMG_2024-07-17-09-34-59-970.jpg

Paul

I take it you can still wind the window up and down ok with it fitted in that position?

Also, can you remember were you purchased the mirror from.

Gary

49 minutes ago, Mark B said:

I fitted one to drivers side gt6 quarter light. Ok, but still prefer rear mirror and glance over my shoulder if pulling out. They can vibrate as not that well supported, just grub screws. It came loose twice so used locktite. I fitted a door mirror to the Vitesse, much better, but I did have to drill the door.

Yes its a pity GT6s arent as smooth as Vitesses 🏃‍♂️💨💥

3 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

Paul

I take it you can still wind the window up and down ok with it fitted in that position?

Gary

Yes, window and quarter light open and close as normal, sorry can't remember where purchased as to long ago.

Regards

Paul.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

Gary

Those are available from a number of sources, with slight differences between brands. SVC, Moss and many others have them; just search 'quarterlight clip-on mirror' or similar phrases.

Tex Automotive does a lovely version:

mqb6-quarterlight-mirror-oblong-convex-glass-polished.thumb.jpg.7c5e469033fc1ab9da799a46ea4d132f.jpg

Holden Vintage and Classic also have a great looking period version:

prod_large.jpeg.2911be704b278c186a596a303d1df005.jpeg

• Like 1

Like a previous poster I fitted mine to the quarterlight glass because could not get a good fixing to the frame. But noticed last week that I have lost one of the grubscrews so need to find out size and get another.