New competition anyone?

trigolf

So, with my MOT booked for next Mon, I thought I'd just do a final check on the obvious items - lights,horn ,washers etc.

Just as well, as the electric washer pump has failed - seized. It's only been on the car 3 yrs and 3k. Grrrr😡

Anyone fancy starting a competition, to see which replacement part lasts the the shortest time?!🤔🙂

I'll let you know about the second hand engine valances once they get here.

Posted same day as ordered from UK. Somewhere between supplier getting my details and UPS filling in their paperwork (computer?) two numbers in the post code got swapped over and my parcel is doing a 'Tour de France'.

Postcodes here are a bit vague, mine covers 7 villages. . .

The error changed 61360 to 63160, so instead of arriving in the Orne in Normandy it went to the Avergne in the centre of France. There isn't a post code 63160 there, let alone a town/village with the same name. Why didn't someone drop me a message or phone, they have my details.

Even if they had turned up as expected yesterday it's far to hot to venture outside today, well we managed the 100 metres to the village restaurant for lunch and back.

Rant over !

eBay UJs by Britpart; bought a set of four. One literally collapsed on fitting, like it was made of tin, so never made it to the road let alone wore out. The others are still in their packaging, never even unwrapped let alone fitted.

IMG_9016.jpeg.5b99aebd37b2c1ba26f451768efdd521.jpeg

I can feel this string might grow massively - here is my item for consideration:

When I completed the restoration of the inside of my Standard 8, I included a nice brand new radio/stereo as part of the refit.

I fitted the radio, I tested, it worked and all was well, I was happy - but sadly I have never used the radio since because the cars restoration is still ongoing.

My mechanic has recently discovered the cars battery kept going flat even after a day or two - he kept topping it up until he got fed up of faffing about - he eventually found the culprit, the issue was traced back to the radio.

The radio still works (maybe too well), for some reason it wants to drain the cars battery even though it’s off. Disconnect the radio, the battery is fine, reinstall the radio the battery drains away!

I was once told that RAF pilots during WW2 were the first to discover Gremlins, I think my car has Gremlins, so there is nothing wrong with the radio just Gremlins at work or it was the radio just Oriental junk?

Eric

Modern car radios draw current from the battery even when turned off. This is to maintain the settings you’ve selected. Not a problem in a modern used regularly. However a pain in a Triumph used irregularly. If you disconnect completely you will have set up stations and other settings every time you switch on. I ran like this for a while, but now I have a straight amplifier and attach my phone to it with radio stations and copied CDs.

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

To Doug and Johny - Thanks for your input guys, I was thinking if the radio/stereo was knackered I would junk it and buy a DAB+ radio, but I guess that that would drain the battery as well, while the cars is having lengthy siestas - I suppose I could have a switch on the dash to isolate the radio rather than disconnecting the battery?

I don’t remember anywhere in the current radios fitting instructions the words - “this unit will drain the battery” or words to that effect, I never gave that a moments thought!

Getting the radio/stereo looked at would would probably be costly and finding someone to do it locally would be a mission - using Johny’s expression - “me thinks” I will add - the thing is scrap.

Thanks again guys

Eric

Thing is Eric if leaving the car any length of time disconnecting the battery is not a bad idea anyway. Dont know about yours but Ive got 60 year old wiring plus the possibility of some hungry rodent chewing into it that makes me nervous of leaving it powered up. Its no hardship as I always open up the bonnet to have a look round things (check Ive still got brake fluid etc) before the first run after a layup so reconnect the battery at the same time👍

• Like 1

Fitted battery disconnects to my cars. Once fitted to the negative battery post, it's quick and easy to isolate the battery. No probs with my radio, so I have a fused link across the switch/negative post, so no need to re- programme the radio stations when the power is cut.

On 31/07/2024 at 04:26, Chris A said:

I'll let you know about the second hand engine valances once they get here.

Posted same day as ordered from UK. Somewhere between supplier getting my details and UPS filling in their paperwork (computer?) two numbers in the post code got swapped over and my parcel is doing a 'Tour de France'.

Postcodes here are a bit vague, mine covers 7 villages. . .

The error changed 61360 to 63160, so instead of arriving in the Orne in Normandy it went to the Avergne in the centre of France. There isn't a post code 63160 there, let alone a town/village with the same name. Why didn't someone drop me a message or phone, they have my details.

Even if they had turned up as expected yesterday it's far to hot to venture outside today, well we managed the 100 metres to the village restaurant for lunch and back.

Rant over !

I bought a battery charger from the States.
It ended up sitting in Israel for two months before someone saw the destination was New Zealand and sent it on.
Only thing that I can think caused it is my surname is the same but different origin as a city in Israel and the computer read that instead of the country to deliver to.

2 hours ago, johny said:

Yes Mark but the radio is still drawing current through the fused link so will flatten Erics battery if left long enough☹️

Hi Johny, yes I got that, just mentioned the fused link,  as in my case my radio is fine, but if you want to isolate the power from the rest of the  loom, longer term, and you dont have a faulty radio, but don't want the hassle of reprogramming radio stations,  the fused link is a good option. Thats if you remember you have the battery isolated. More than once i have turned the ignition on, get the red ignition light, turn to start and then 'click' lights go out, then i remember. May confuse a would be car thief or joy rider. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mark B said:

Thats if you remember you have the battery isolated. More than once i have turned the ignition on, get the red ignition light, turn to start and then 'click' lights go out, then i remember. May confuse a would be car thief or joy rider. 

My 13/60 has a concealed isolator switch fiited by a previous owner. I don't use it because when I do I forget to reset it when getting back in the car. It just isolates the ignition circuit so I get all the sound of the starter spinning without the motor firing.

On 30/07/2024 at 12:56, trigolf said:

So, with my MOT booked for next Mon, I thought I'd just do a final check on the obvious items - lights,horn ,washers etc.

Just as well, as the electric washer pump has failed - seized. It's only been on the car 3 yrs and 3k. Grrrr😡

Anyone fancy starting a competition, to see which replacement part lasts the the shortest time?!🤔🙂

Hi all. It's me again.

I thought I'd post a little update on the washer pump saga.

Having ordered a new identical replacement pump (Spitfire 1500 type) from Paddock, I was curious to see what exactly had failed on the u/s pump. Having dismantled it, I found the motor worked fine when not connected to the the pump mechanism. Further strip down revealed that the pump impellor had jammed in it's housing. The tiny impellor appears to be made of some sort of rubber and had swollen, so that it could'nt rotate and so stalled the motor. I can only assume that the additives in the pre-mixed screen wash I use had caused it to swell over time? So it might be wise to fill the washer bottle with either a weaker mix or just plain water? In addtition, I don't think it helps that the car isn't used all the year round - for obvious reasons!

Gav