Will the TSSC's affiliation with the MSA be discussed with members?

JohnD

In the Triumfest thread, I advocated an autotest event to be held on the Heritage Loop at Donington to augment the programme.    And the best candidate to organise such an event has been told that the TSSC will consider ceasing affiliation with the Motor Sport Association, the governing body of four-wheeld UK motorsport.      That affiliation provides enormous protection for any one seeking to run a motorsport event, even one as safe as Autotesting.

Will the membership be given to opportunity to give their opinion on this momentous matter?

John

John,may I suggest you drop an email to the gensec? 

And yes, I fully support your point, see my post re TriumphFest. However, the flipside is the TSSC do not do many (any?) competitive events that require MSA membership. Then again, that is maybe food for thought.......

Following a COM meeting on Saturday 27th September, I am able to confirm that the TSSC will maintain its membership of the MSA.  The benefits of staying as members by far outweighs  the negatives of being members.  Any member wishing to add to the debate about continued membership of the MSA is invited to email comments to me at gensec@tssc.org.uk.  I will attempt to respond asap.  I would hope to included a breakdown of the CoM meeting in the November Issue of the Courier.

cheers

Ben

John

There can be positive reasons to drop the MSA affiliation, and quite a few Classic car clubs are doing just that. This is as a direct result of the latest, almost draconian, position of the MSA.

If the club does not organise any competitive events (which the TSSC does not I beleive), then the greater freedom to arrange such things as runs out from a pub, or to a show  that can be gained from not being affiliated is very useful. As the club has public liabilty insurance, then they will not need the additional cover provided by the MSA as they are not organising competitive motorsport, which might well be excluded from the clubs policy.

If you are not tied by the requirement to apply for a permit if you want more than 1 car travelling anywhere at the same time, then the club is free to organise social events, and advertise the fact it is organising them, and also allow the members to advertise the fact.

I suspect there are also substantial financial benefits of not being affiliated.

I had expected the club to drop the affiliation.

Cheers

Colin

I did not join the TSSC to go on picnics.

But each to their own.

John

Neither did I, but lots of people might have done!

And if the club is not affiliated to teh MSA, then they can ask other members if they want to go on a picnic as well via the forum, or in the magazine. At the moment they can not, unless they apply for a permit.

I joined another Triumph club that arranges permitted events.

Cheers

Colin