Trunnions

It's difficult to tell. One thing I noticed it the drilled oil hole  up the centre was lopsided.  The drill hole was in the center but where it broke was over to one side by a 1/3 of its diameter and this looks where it gave way.

Danny

20 hours ago, Colin said:

Trigolf:- I have (honestly) filled it in this manner. But to trial it as if working on a nipple (bench test effectively), when depressed, nothing emanates from the nozzle. So . . . . . ??? 🤔😀

Hmm...

That's strange. Have you actually tried it on a nipple? -( oh err missus!) I can't remember if my plastic gun behaves the same on a ' bench test', but works fine. 🤔

Oh! I did not know . . . I'm still on original trunnions although donkey's ago, I did change the seals either side, at the bottom. God's own job as I recall, to fiddle little rubber rings flat inside the two overlapping halves whilst trying to squeeze 'em in either side at the bottom . . . !! Ball joints sound more practical. Regular suppliers?? 😉🙂

On 27/08/2024 at 17:00, Colin said:

Owch!! 🤣🤣

to be fair that is £500 from rimmers. A pair of new uprights is £350 add on 2 trunnions £70 and a bush kit and seals say £10 that makes £430. I think that puts the trunionless kit in a different light if you need to replace anyway. Canleys are cheaper

I have the Canleys kit on both my Herald and Vitesse, no brainer for me when rebuilding the front ends, cost imho is reasonable for a decently engineered piece of kit.

And I run the cost through my business so I get the Vat back.

This winters job is to CV the Herald. I have all the bits ready to go.

Steve

54 minutes ago, johny said:

Cant see much of a saving to be made on that price as you have to remember to add VAT which some sites dont always make very clear....

Canleys quote with VAT included, James Paddock you have to add VAT Canleys are quoting £425

I think that there was a batch where that happened, some may have got out and yes Canley classics prices are inc VAT I have used them many times and just been through to payment on a clutch cylinder and no VAT added

I'd have to go back into the annals of my early ownership records, but I think I only 'did' (changed) those little discs at the bottom of the trunnion with the rubber oil seal ring (there we go - I've just answered my own original question!!) either side of the lower bush . . . and I can't recall why I did that, either 🤣🤣

22 minutes ago, johny said:

Looking at the photos I wonder if the normal hole drilling went wrong so it came out offset and to 'correct' it a larger hole was then drilled part of the way on the true centre😨

Or when made the 1960s manual machine centre (tool setter with a hang over or thinking about going on strike) put the wrong drill in the tool holder? Nowadays amongst other controls the over torque sensor from using a larger drill would stop the machine.

Iain

Edited by Iain T
  • Like 1