Bio Fuel for Classics

Eric Smith

Hi guys, I have just been reading some information on the net about Bio Fuel for classics - has anyone tried any?

The company on the net is Coryton Bio Fuels

I know this could be the way forward for all of us in the future, I would rather do that than go electric, what do you guys think?

Eric

Edited by Eric Smith
Typo

Bio fuels are being developed for classic and modern racing series, so hopefully there will be an affordable trickle down for road use. P1 have provided bio fuels for the Silverstone festival / classic and also the London-Brighton run, plus the World Rally Championship and the various F1 demonstration runs Sebastian Vettel has performed in his 1990s McLaren and Williams cars.

Gully

Better synthetic than electric. I can't see the point and expense of converting classics to electric. In 20-25 years when most of us have handed in our keys I would think 75% of our cars will be crushed ☹️

Iain

37 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Just need to work out how much duty the Gov will put on it.

To give them a hint petrol prices at my local petrol station are:

E5 (98) - 1.819

E10 - 1.686

E5 (95) - 1.735

E85 - 0.798

Prices in Euros per litre.

If E85 gets too popular the taxes will rocket to regain lost income.

Just for good measure diesel is at 1.596

2 hours ago, johny said:

Yes been having a read up and probably need some modifications but of all existing cars ours might be some of the most suited🤔

A friend of mine here had, until the beginning of the month, a BMW series 3 convertible which he had adapted to run on E85, it has done 225K kilometres ( he hasn't had it from new). The replacement is a Ford Focus CC 2L convertible which has done 80K kilometres and he is having it adapted this week. He does clock up the kilometres so the cost is soon covered.

In his defence I will also add that his best car is a 1959 Simca Aronde, belonged to his father a Simca garage owner.

20 hours ago, Iain T said:

Better synthetic than electric. I can't see the point and expense of converting classics to electric. In 20-25 years when most of us have handed in our keys I would think 75% of our cars will be crushed ☹️

Iain

Speak for yourself.. 🙂  I plan on being around in 20 years... 😄 

20 hours ago, Gully said:

Bio fuels are being developed for classic and modern racing series, so hopefully there will be an affordable trickle down for road use. P1 have provided bio fuels for the Silverstone festival / classic and also the London-Brighton run, plus the World Rally Championship and the various F1 demonstration runs Sebastian Vettel has performed in his 1990s McLaren and Williams cars.

Gully

All Goodwood events use synthetic fuels I have heard. Bio kerosene for planes has been around for a while. I remember Richard Branson drinking it once...
It is an improvement for sure and as many say here probably the only way to keep  ICEs going in the original way.

I doubt though that it will ever become mainstream as I doubt it will ever get to below 5-8 € a liter.

There is a place about 100 km from here that make it and they are very cagey about stating the price. A reporter jumped on someone who left with a load of it and he mumbled something about 30 € a liter. 

That was over a year ago though and just like batteries dropping to nearly 50% of their price last year I am guessing the price has come down a bit...

2 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

Speak for yourself.. 🙂  I plan on being around in 20 years... 😄

Me too 🤞

As to ethanol it makes your engine run cooler but you do need more volume to achieve the same power as old fashioned 5 star. It depends how the ethanol is produced as to if it's 'green' or not. I'm sure we could run E85 in our cars with the provision the carbs and ignition are changed to suit.

Iain

Edited by Iain T

2 hours ago, SpitfireGeorge said:

ran my Vectra diesel on a 50:50 diesel cooking oil mix until cooking oil shot up in price.

Try using old frying oil, ought to be a lot cheaper than new oil. The smell out of the exhaust would be 'distinctive', maybe not  Castrol R but distinctive 😬

2 hours ago, SpitfireGeorge said:

Completely not relevant here but ran my Vectra diesel on a 50:50 diesel cooking oil mix until cooking oil shot up in price. Governments will always screw the honest man.

This is THE big problem. No matter what fuel we come up with, if it saves the driver money, the Gov will tax it so that it doesn't.

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

This is THE big problem. No matter what fuel we come up with, if it saves the driver money, the Gov will tax it so that it doesn't.

I agree. They are probably working on how they can add taxes to the electricity used to charge EVs

There was reportedly a group of taxi drivers who back in the 80`s where using reclaimed cooking oil in their diesel taxi`s. They "got away" with it for a long time until some revenue officer picked up on it allegedly due to the "Effluvium" of old chip`s.

Pete

1 hour ago, rlubikey said:

Apparently Russians used to boost the Soviet era "nought-star" petrol by adding cheap vodka. I heard this from a "reputable" source so it's probably an urban myth!

Cheers, Richard

I can't seee any Russian wasting vodka, cheap or otherwise, by putting it in a vehicle