'Handed' Boot Hinges? (Herald 1200)

Colin

Chaps:- I read somewhere recently boot lid hinges are 'handed, e.g. left & right. Really? The number of times I've removed them, broken a fixing stud off one etc., and I've never noticed!! 

A) Why??

B) Are they marked as such?? Best, Colin, Hernia Bay

On my Standard 8 the bonnet hinges look identical to the ones in the photograph, when I started to rebuild the car they were not fitted to the car or bonnet but neatly wrapped in paper with no indication of side.

Eric

yes Triumph were famous for reusing the same components over many models and years. Now I think some repros like these have the pin right the way though so theyre cheaper to produce and not handed....

image.thumb.png.b5620d1310a2390869b02ef5aa4e3513.png

21 minutes ago, SpitfireGeorge said:

On the Spitfire mk3 the boot lid has a slight slope on each size so the longest length of hinge has to match that slope. Managed to snap my brand new ones before I realised this.

I thought the boot lid had flattened areas to accept the hinges? Theyre the same part number as the other models and Ive never noticed an angle - another reason to inspect mine😁

Can of worms for ME! Last person to change those hinges was the fella who did the resto on her, 2020/21 Aerial pic is offside - pin on inside. Other is nearside - pin same side, so facing kerb (both left hand side looking from back of car). Guessing from what we've said, incorrect? If not a massive problem on a Herald boot . . . ???

20240830_151445.jpg

20240830_151454.jpg

They look slightly different as well so maybe one changed at sometime - as said they can snap or the studs pull out when undoing the nuts. Anyway Im sure there'll be more important things to worry about than the sides of the pins😲