Herald 12/50 Air Filter ?

Brian Walker

Hi, I am new to the club and this is my first posting. Can anyone identify this air filter as i am sure it is not an original. it is attached to an SU carb but again not sure of the type/model. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Brian Walker

Airfilter2.jpg

Airfilter1.jpg

Hello Brian - It's an SU conversion from the original Solex, so you'll not be short of filters to fit the carb itself if you don't identify that one, but your take-off could be anything from the period, maybe along the lines of Morris Minor or Ford Anglia, depending on the source of the carb. Does it have any manufacturer's marks or codes on the top? 

there is the option to fit a dreaded   pancake type ,  but still not good for some nice cold air  and weak mixtures 

i guess there is no room to point it spout forwards   but can a flexi tube be added to collect air from the side of the radiator ??

what you have does resemble some the moggie minor set up .

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

Colin thanks for the feedback, I believe the Carb is an SUHS2 as you say, for some reason changed from the Solex. Top of the pot is stamped LTX150 (perhaps 5) last digit is not readable. The bowl lid is stamped AUD9203 and on the tab of the bowl FZX 1047

My main concern at the moment is determining the replacement air filter element and where I could purchase one. The existing one came in a Fram box with a code number, however Fram say that is now obsolete. 

Johny, thanks I have since repositioned the intake.

Pete thank you, I have looked at the moggie variations, Ford Anglia and Midget options of that era with no luck. So I will carry on investigating

The adaptor looks very similar this so have a look at Marina filters on ebay like the one below. Otherwise filter manufacturers like Mann have very good cross reference details including dimensions on their websites....  

image.png.d15ba39ca7c763b94954e876519b5867.png

image.thumb.png.aa692f6a17c0b8aad73c4ac900b6f09a.png

Going by the size of the dashpot that isn`t an HS2, more like an HS6 which would be 1 3/4 inch at the inlet or a more modern version like an HIF.

Could well be Marina as that says for HS6 in Johny`s image.

Steve  

Edited by Steve P
Spelling

Hi all, I have spoken to SU Carbs at Burlen ( thank you Pete ) who has identified the carb as a HF4 which would have been fitted to a 13000 Dolomite. Getting nearer to identifying the Air Filter. I will let you know as I progress.

Thanks all for your input so far.

22 hours ago, Brian Walker said:

Hi all, I have spoken to SU Carbs at Burlen ( thank you Pete ) who has identified the carb as a HF4 which would have been fitted to a 13000 Dolomite. Getting nearer to identifying the Air Filter. I will let you know as I progress.

Thanks all for your input so far.

Just to be accurate, I think it should be a HS4 carb. Burlen produce a very handy reference book which has fantastic detail about SU carbs.

IMG_20240906_094114111.jpg