Triumph Vitesse spare wheel mounting bracket

Robin

Bit of a long shot but I'm trying to track down the bracket that holds the spare wheel in place - the part number is 607863 but no one seems to stock it. James Paddock has one for a spitfire (TS40)(627196) so does anyone know if this is suitable for a Vitesse or if it could be modified to hold the wheel in place?

not exactly any form of genuine   but to make it secure a long piece of studding  thro' a hole in the boot well  with a good sized washer and a dab of sealer work also work

better than having a loose wheel flying around 

as the spitty wheels were less width the bracket may not suit or its stud length  i dont know 

Pete

12 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm no body / metalworker but reckon it could be made quite easily. I can supply photos / measurements if required?

Hi Colin 

if you have some designs that I could get made up that would be great

Thanks

Robin

It’s a roughly u shaped bent bit of metal with a captive bolt / studding welded on. If I remember correctly it has strengthening rib but you could cope without that. Unless you’re extremely keen on originality it’d genuinely take about 10 mins to knock one up that looks about right and will definitely do the job! Are you in touch with your local area? There may well be someone who’d do that for you if you don’t weld yourself. 

As promised, photos of the bracket. The threaded section is 1.5 inches tall, and the bracket is 3" tall in vertical height, but the sides slope so they're actually 3.5" long by 2.5" wide at the base and taper upwards, with that flat folded section where it welds to the floor adding another 1/2". The top section is a 2" by 1" rectangle with that strengthening bulge. So: 8" of metal folded as shown. 

IMG_9469.thumb.jpeg.846a3d7eebbf755c7cdb9e7931ab71b5.jpeg IMG_9470.thumb.jpeg.998ffc86d0f6f8301374ba75aa943664.jpeg

IMG_9471.thumb.jpeg.d45b40e37d43db0a66dda0107473f2a3.jpeg

Colin interesting the way the hold down bolt has necked presumably due to the spare wheel being loose and rubbing on it for eons, won't affect performance but a warning to owners to bolt the wheel down so it can't move!

Somewhere I have a spare assembly I drilled out of a Vitesse rear body tub when scrapping, but unfortunately too far and expensive to ship to UK

12 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

As promised, photos of the bracket. The threaded section is 1.5 inches tall, and the bracket is 3" tall in vertical height, but the sides slope so they're actually 3.5" long by 2.5" wide at the base and taper upwards, with that flat folded section where it welds to the floor adding another 1/2". The top section is a 2" by 1" rectangle with that strengthening bulge. So: 8" of metal folded as shown. 

IMG_9469.thumb.jpeg.846a3d7eebbf755c7cdb9e7931ab71b5.jpeg IMG_9470.thumb.jpeg.998ffc86d0f6f8301374ba75aa943664.jpeg

IMG_9471.thumb.jpeg.d45b40e37d43db0a66dda0107473f2a3.jpeg

Great - thanks Colin