Fuel pump install 1200 Herald

Valherald

Hi there, new member and new to restoration :) Having refurbished the fuel pump on a herald 1200 1965 I have reinstalled it but after the car initially starting and running, the pump stopped delivering fuel. Is it easy to not get the pump armature aligned with the cam? I will jump on it again tomorrow but I wondered if this should be a relatively simple task or if it requires some tinkering to get it right.Any little tips most welcome. Many thanks,Gary

Gary.

It may well be that the cam lever is sitting UNDER the camshaft whereas it MUST sit above the cam.

If the fuel pump is the same style as the Vitesse (I think it is) I place the pump lever as high as I can in to the engine block hole it fits in to and then push the pump body downwards until the bolt holes line up. When doing this you should feel resistance all the time as the pump lever takes the correct position. Having done that the pump should still be "sitting" off the block a bit at this stage.

Ensuring you have the gaskets in place it is a case of bolting the pump evenly & tightly to the block. On doing that the lever arm will take the position that the cam lobe is in.

I hope that makes sense !!

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard

That's most useful thank you, I will re-fit and keep that in mind tomorrow. I have also realised a possible school boy error this evening which may be effecting by fuel pull through, I am working on many areas of the car at the moment and as the fuel tank has not been in the car whilst I refurbished it, I had temporarily fitted a cap which I don't think is vented! This may explain why it worked for start up and then died and also why the prime lever worked initially but not later. Many thanks for the tip, much appreciated.

Best regards

Gary

Many thanks Richard Clive and Pete

I have taken the pump off, checked Valves etc which seem fine as I've recently replaced them and the diaphragm is good. I have however found that screw holding the top dome on has lost some thread and therefore not holding pressure so I will replace that. Hopefully, with that done and Richards method of placing the pump back I will be good to go. Thank you for the assistance.

Gary 

Good when the fix is cheap and solves the problem

that topmscrew and its sealing washer has give much grief over the past years

if you spot a new old stock glass top they are more refined and dont have the leaky air sucking , damn its stripped screw on the top cap

pleanty of tee shirts for that one

pete

• Like 1