GT6 bonnet height when up

Ru55ell

hi can someone help me with the height of a GT6 bonnet when fully up ?  . i.ve been in the TSSC a while back and had a spitfire , herald, vittesse and GT6   . I've just moved and i'm building a new garage big enough to do up another GT6 so was wondering how much head room i needed for when the bonnet is tipped right forward , cheers Russ

Russ.

I'm not sure if the bonnet is longer than a Vitesse, I think it my be, but to start the ball rolling I have measured my Vitesse with the bonnet up and it looks about 160cm and 165cm certainly clears its height.

I guess you can lay the first few courses of bricks up to 160cm at least !!

Regards.

Richard.

Garage would have to have a very low roof for it to be  a problem, I think

I'm sure someone will give you the exact figures  but if this is any help,  I see In an old Autotest review of the "new" Spitfire1500 which will be the same dimensions I would think  for practical purposes, the scale drawing shows the open bonnet  at just under 6ft 

(It also shows a  "standard garage" being 16ft x8ft 6")

Overall length car 12ft 5"

width 4ft 10"

Do not forget to add hight for when the car is on axle stands, jacks or what ever you use to raise the car to work on it, never work under a car on jacks.

The Vitesse I'm working on is up on two layers of railway sleeper which are on boards with heavy duty casters so it can be moved, the bonnet still opens.

Clear hight in garage about 90inches, just under 2.3 metres, less light fittings.

Regards Paul

Also if it's a flip-up garage door check what height that opens to - mine's slightly lower than an open Spitfire bonnet so can't have both bonnet and garage door open at the same time* :(

* Well I could go nose-in but more hastle.

Russ.

The other door option is the roller shutter type; which does not encroach within the garage workspace area and most come with a cushioning pad that seals the bottom of the door to the floor. The door rolls up just inside the door aperture.

A friend of mine had this type fitted a couple of years ago and it's spot-on.

Just a thought.

Regards.

Richard.

• 2 weeks later...