Herald Gearbox Advice - again

Eddie

I finally swapped my leaking gearbox on my Herald 13/60 with the one that I bought on eBay and refurbished.

Took it out for a test drive today and it seems OK but the acceleration does not seem to be as good as it was. We established the "new" gearbox, number GB150805 was correct for a Herald 13/60, and the seller assured me that it had been taken from a 13/60.

This has got me wondering if the "old" gearbox was in fact from a different model. The photo below shows the number, which looks as if it has been altered.

Any ideas?

DSCF9028_zpsbcxyst6x.jpg

Looking at the gearbox I can see GR as well as what looks like FC; overstamping is usually a sign that it's been overhauled - is it possible this has been an early Spitfire gearbox that was already refurbished; this may explain the better acceleration from the sportier box when compared to the standard gearbox you've now fitted.

FC is spitfire 1/2

i dont see GR  anywhere  see suffix tables  extract from CT    

R sometimes used for recondition gearboxes but by who ???  so could be a G something 

Thanks for all the advice.

It would seem that my car had a Spitfire gearbox. Shame that I have lost the acceleration but I would rather have a gearbox that doesn't leak.

I have re-fitted the Spitfire gearstick though, to stop me punching the radio every time I put it into first!

According  to the table that Pete's post links to my car should have a gearbox number with the prefix GA, not GB,  so I am still not sure what it came from but I am not really bothered as long as it works OK and doesn't leak. :)

so , how does the spitfire and herald gearbox differ? I always assumed they were the same...

So did I, but the acceleration was definitely better with the gearbox that seems to have originally been a Spitfire item.