GT6 Speedo Noise

Gully

Hi all,

My GT6's speedo needle has always been a bit wavy at certain speeds, which I've put down to the need for a bit of cable lubrication required at some stage. However, over the past couple of weeks the speedo has developed a rotation- related scrape, which is fully speed dependent. Mostly clears above 45mph, but is present up to that and also when slowing below it again. The scrape is in time with the waving needle and poking my hand under the dash whilst moving I can feel the scrape through the speedo body. Mileometer seems to be unaffected. I'm wondering if the cable is not fully engaged in the speedo, or if there could be a bearing issue in the speedo. Any thoughts or guidance welcomed!

Many thanks,

Gully

Paul I would start with cable lubrication, not a lot , graphite dust is best but any smear of grease is fine

what can happen is the spriral wrap of the cable drives grease or oil into the head unit

the main speedo spindle is known to be tired now , this needs remove the glass rim unstick the grotty 0 ring and take out the back srews to release the head

never remove the needle

you will, see the back of the head is accessible to either remover the input housing and strip it out or just oil it in place dont get oiil on the alloy and magnetic drive disk.

Add a little grease to the needle spindle bearings as these can wear out and the disc makes contact with the magnet, then you get wilder needle swing.

if the cable is too short you can with pliers screw the outer helical cable case and make it longer or shorter to get the right amount of inner to engage the ends ok.

so jumpy needle will be cable , squeaks can be inside

pete

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, having procured a replacement speedometer via the great Bay of E and added it to the growing 'spares' pile in the shed, my existing speedometer has decided to go quiet on me again. Clearly, all it needed was two weeks of weather and holiday induced rest! That's the sort of repair I like!

Just leaves me with a rust bubble needing repair and an overdrive to fix...

Cheers,

Gully