Reassembling front wheel bearings - vitesse mk2 1969

Paul H

Just fitted new vertical links , trunnions and reassembling the wheel bearings . A previous post on here ( can't find it ) said nip up the castellated nut then go back one or 2 sections and add split pin . The bit I can't find is should there be play once the wheel is added back . I've got a small amount of play , not sure if I need to tighten the castellated nut one more section . Thanks in advance .

I tighten them up for the MOT then slacken them of as soon as I get home, it's only half a mile round trip. I've had too many arguments with MOT men to be bothered! One section back on the castellated nut is enough, I think two would be too much.

• Like 1

I echo all that

The actual spec is 0.002 to 0.008" end float ,, not easy to check the linear float

But at 0.008 you get a lot , over 3mm rock at the rim

there are two pin holes in the stub so easy to get fine adjustment

if the felt seals are new recheck again very soon after fitting

too much can give you pad push back too little seizes the outer bearing onto the stub.

one flat is fine provided the nut was a light hand nip and not wraunched up tight

I echo all that

The actual spec is 0.002 to 0.008" end float ,, not easy to check the linear float

But at 0.008 you get a lot , over 3mm rock at the rim

there are two pin holes in the stub so easy to get fine adjustment

if the felt seals are new recheck again very soon after fitting

too much can give you pad push back too little seizes the outer bearing onto the stub.

one flat is fine provided the nut was a light hand nip and not wraunched up tight

I did purchase new felt seals but quality was poor and couldn't get them to fit so reused old ones . Thanks for feedback - appreciated

Theres been a lot of them out there completely wrong both the felt and the cup are for somerhing much larger design...just looks about right but hopeless to fit

and and its cinsert cup so felt fits between cup and the stub axle face to make the seal

a smear of grease or a soak in oil first

its often assembled with the felt inside the hub under the cup and the seal isnt going to work and you have metal to metal on the stub axe

The bearing must sit against the end of the stub, the readjust is new felts can hold it away till all is

squashed and run in , using the old is often the best move

off to drive it day for a bit of a convoy

pete

Those felt cups have been mis-sold for years - it's about time certain suppliers realised we want the proper items, not something made to fit by grinding shaving and greasing. We need to start returning them as unsuitable, not making-do ourselves. NOS ones are becoming hard to find but always fitted like a dream.

Hello All

The bearings and seal I purchased from the CLUB SHOP fitted perfectly so there you have it? and the price was good as well(for quality bearings NTN I think)

Roger

Hi I would love to support the Club Shop though didnt know they sold the felt cups 

Just fitted new bearings to my Vitesse and the felt seals that came with them didn't fit.

The other thing that I had a problem with was that the two alternative Split Pins in the kit don't fit either. One is too big to pass through the drilling, the other too small to retain the nut satisfactorily and after a short test run I had 0.012" end float due to both nuts having vibrated fractionally loose.

Fortunately Halfords sell a pack of "assorted" split pins and luckily these contain two pins of exactly the correct size to firmly secure the castlated nut in the correct location. We did forty miles on Drive it Day and the end float remained at 0.006" as set.