Euro Car Parts sale

dougbgt6

I just bought new pads for my Dads c-max. cheap as chips.

Sadly now I have fitted them, and despite following what I thought was the correct procedure, the electric handbrake is having a hissyfit......

But no complaints about ECP! (just electric handbrakes. For goodness sake. WHY?!)

Car dropped off at helpful local garage.....

had to disconnect the battery, leave 10 mins then reconnect. Turn leccy handbrake off, drive there remembering not to re-apply as it would then lock on again.....PITA

Hopefully a zap with a magic ray will sort it. Chap showed me a passat caliper, that has a motor built into the caliper!!! Not cheap....

But no complaints about ECP! (just electric handbrakes. For goodness sake. WHY?!)

Simple - it's just a wire built in to the loom with a plug at each end, rather than an additional cable that has to be run, connected and adjusted. Saves maybe 10s of time on the production line but if you're producing 1,000 cars a-day, that's 2.8 man-hours/day saved.

My current modern has an electric hand brake, I'm scared of it. It doesn't seem a safe idea to me, what happens if your battery dies? Does the car roll away into the distance. I suppose there's some clever mechanism which locks if battery fails but what if your moving?

Indeed, the garage had to reset the ecu after winding back the calipers. Apparently....

Actually I can't knock them, they charged me a modest sum for an hours work, which was way less than an hour at a main stealer....

As to why, I think it is so drivers become more isolated from the driving experience. Think about it, we have auto parking, auto handbrakes, lane assist and countless other driver aids. Cars no  longer have dipsticks (and those that do never get checked, according to the garage bloke, that is where a lot of his work comes from!) and so on. We are becoming passengers, all ready for the impending Apple car.....

Its a conspiracy I tell you!

As to costs, a motor and all the stuff that goes along with it must be more expensive than a manual handbrake. I read on a forum somebody had retro fitted a manual handbrake and all teh bits cost about £250. I got worried when told the motor and ecu cost £900....