Spin on oil filter conversion oil leak

Waynebaby

Hi All,

Has anybody else experienced an oil leak between the body of a spin-on oil filter conversion kit and the cylinder block? I have a weep on mine which has been doing a very good job of rust proofing the underside of my GT6 ever since I fitted it. I've tightened up the centre bolt to the point where I'm afraid that any more will strip something but I can't seem to cure the leak (~ 1/2 pint every 100 miles). The OE filter bowl was leak tight and yes, I have fitted the rubber o-ring. Any suggestions?

Wayne 

Hi Wayne - In a word  - YES, everything from a drip to a flow! Things to check, and I am assuming here that this is a being fitted as new

1              If you have just fitted it, did you ensure you removed the old seal sometimes it hides in the block!

2                     If that’s OK, did you give the block a good clean to ensure no old seal bits were left in the groove

3                     As was pointed out to me, some blocks have a groove / lip on the inner / outer edges, so you have to ensure that the rubber seal does not get caught on it. I did mine mind by pushing the seal in and at the same time using a fine screwdriver gently around the edges between the seal and the block

As another note, make sure the inner seal moves against the spring and is not locked in any way. When I got mine the inner sprung seal was somehow stuck and I had to free it off by turning it. This created a few flakes of aluminium to fall off so if yours is the same be careful to clear them away

Aidan

and never over tighten the centre bolt, we have had the block casting break away on the old forum , can lead to a disaster

Aiden's   on the button  if the seal register is stepped its easy to mis fit the new   or leave old in place 

get down and look in as close as you can 

Pete

Thanks guys,

That is a great help. I now have a sneaking suspicion that I might have left the old seal in place because I can't remember seeing the original. Regarding aluminium swarf in the housing - I had to fish out multiple flakes from the innards and use emery cloth to smooth off various "flashes" of the stuff before fitting it. Not very good quality control.

Wayne

Aidan,

I've just taken off the filter housing and you were spot on with your diagnosis - two o-ring seals where there should only have been one. A classic case of more haste = less speed. When I fitted the spin-on adapter I was too lazy to take off the engine valance and consequently couldn't actually see into the seal groove to see the original seal sitting back in there.

Many thanks for spotting the simple solution to my problem.

Wayne