Engine Swap Mk1 Vitesse 1966

Steve M

any Mk 1 will be straight swap , a mk2 is same but all manifolds need replacing,  

all ancilliaries like needles and carb specs together with dizzy  curve/vac will need replacing  to suit.

2.5 will strip the gearbox which is already stretched to its limit 

if the 1600 three rail has crash on first then up it to a 3 rail 4 synchro. with a HC prefix  or get an upgrade from Mr Papworth

you need to also check the diff output shafts are to the latest diameter,  early ones could shear on 4.11  diffs   3.89 > would be better

Pete

• 3 years later...

hello everyone,  does anybody know if it's possible to refit the engine in my Vitesse without removing the bonnet?                                                                                                                                                Any help will be most welcome.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Regards, Rob

While I agree it would be easier with the bonnet off, you will have the electrics to all the front lights to disconnect and reconnect and realign the bonnet which can be a right pain. 

I have an I beam across a double garage with a rolling trolley a one ton chain hoist and a load leveller, would not try it without these.

All comes down to what equipment you are going to use.

Regards

Paul

Once the engine, not with gearbox, is lifted clear of the wheels if you then turn it through 90 deg you can then very carefully roll the engine crane out sideways with the bonne left in place. But be careful.

The 1600 diff may not like the extra torque of the 2 Litre. I would also consider fitting 2 Litre front brakes and master cylinder.

Dave

This may be the Ulster way of doing things, but when I refitted the engine and gearbox in my GT6, I actually found it easier to move the car around the assembly while it hung from a hoist about three feet off the ground - just high enough to clear the wheels. I was able to move the front of the car about on a well-positioned trolley jack and raise / lower the car around the engine, rather than the other way about. This way, with the front of the car raised and the whole thing at an angle, the gearbox will slip through the bulkhead aperture - it's harder with the car level.

I'm well used to one-man operations; I removed and refitted the 1200 bonnet on my own, resting it on an old quilt thrown over the front of the bulkhead and engine until it was bolted into place and could then be adjusted. Needs must...

Hello all,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                thanks for the feedback on fitting the engine into my Vitesse with the bonnet in place. It's not connected to the gearbox so hopefully it should be possible. I agree that removing the bonnet first and then putting it back on and trying to line it up again would be a nightmare so I think I'll leave it on, especially as it's such a good fit at the moment. Thanks again everyone.       Regards,  Rob

I used to have the bonnet off my Heralds pretty regularly, as you say, couple of connectors, disconnect the stay and whip out the pivot bolts (while holding it) - never had any problems with alignment when putting it back together either.

....... Andy