Spitfire indicators

Fletchmi

Evening, thought I would turn to the experts for some help.

Returned from the spitfires mot to find that both indicators and hazard lights stopped working.

Have replaced the hazard relay, part no GFU 2204 which has sorted the hazards but still no indicators.

Is it possible that both relays could have given up at the same time? If yes where should the indicator relay be located?

It's an early 1500 registered April 1976, if any one can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

PS no issues with earthing and the car has had a full restoration. Unfortunately be brother in law who did the vast majority of the work on the resto isn't sure where to find the relay either.

Many thanks

The common point is the hazard switch. Try jer... jer... jiggling it, including rotating the knob, to get the indicators working again. My hazards only get used once a year at MOT time so the switch isn't used to being used and needs the exercise!

Richard

• Like 1

I think the indicator relay's meant to be help in a little clip on the back of either the speedo or rev counter - but chances are it's just dangling up under the dash somewhere in that area.

My advice would be to swap it for a modern electrical one.  I had no end of trouble with the original, bi-metalic strip ones (including stopping one working while driving to the MOT station) but not had a problem since upgrading.

Dear all

Many thanks for all the tips really appreciated as I haven't been under the bones in 10 years.

Apologies for not responding earlier but have been away for a few days and it's the first chance I have had to get my hands dirty!

Problem turned out to be a faulty indicator relay, so ta to Mjit for telling me where to find it.

Now to put some tax on the old girl and start using her.

Thanks again

Mike F

Was it in the proper place on the back of the speedo/tacho - or the mechanic's "I can't be bothered to take the shelf out/break by wrist trying to get it back in some little clip so poke it untill you can't see it" location?