New Leaf spring and Differential on car replacement

Andrew

Hello All

Herald 13/60

Question

Can I replace my Diff and leaf spring in my garage as I have no pit or lift for the car obviously I will use Axel stands but tell me can it be done at home and also the best place to buy a Diff and Spring from. What else will I need to do the job I.E. new bolts new bushes new shocks while I am at it. All advise an parts recommendations gratefully received.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew, I have a gt6 and mine is completely stripped out with no pit, just a jack and standard stands. Assuming the geometry is the same it's a piece of cake. A mate made me the spring lifter. Garth should be able to furnish you with the fixings and bushes depending on what you want. Shocks and bushe sources are obviously down to your preference.

I might be wrong but the difference are different ratios based on overdrive, etc. There are plenty of knowledgeable chap here that will put you straight. If you have the manual it should be straight forward.

Cheers

Adrian

is the diff actually bad? Good secondhand will be much cheaper than a reconditioned one.

My first port of call is generally Canley classics or james paddock. But get a quality british made spring. 

Again, check it is actually needed, they can sag but often a refurb has them as new. 

Shocks can be replaced. The new std "black" type are just about adequate and safe to use, but I would seek out better quality new old stock ones or KYB (if they are still made)  The quality of some parts is terrible, so choose carefully and do your research. 

Hi Andrew,

I replaced my rear spring on the drive with both rear wheels off and pulled it out once it was all undone.  It took approx 40 mins taking it out and about 1-2 hours getting the new one in (used a jack to get the last spring eye bolt in).  I got my new spring from Canleys but with the Vitesse i found the ends of the spring touched the rear brake cylinders.  When i spoke to Canleys they said to take half an inch off each bent over end which worked a treat.

Make sure you put the spring in the right way round as it won't sit right on the rear diff.  You'll see a locating lug that fits into the diff.

Regards

Rich

Thanks to all for the help answer to Clive no the diff seems ok but it is leaking oil from the pinion and both drive shafts I am told you need to remove the diff from the car and you need a hub puller to get the seals out of the shafts so I thought I might as well replace the whole unit while I am at it. Do you need a puller or should I just replace the seals.

Another question what does Spring lifter do and and do I need one to do the job or can I manage without it

Regard

Andrew

You only need a lifter for rotaflex suspension , on swing axle you can use a simple jack if the axle needs to lift to align the eye bolts

you can remove the short output shafts with diff in car, just drop the 4 coupling bolts and insert a allen key through the bolt holes , then the shaf just pulls out

getting the bearings off to replace a seal is not the the easiest task

the pinion seal is similar drop the propshaft undo the coupling nut , remove coupling ,

dig the seal out with a stout screwdriver , tap in the new fit coupling , torque nut

if you have a nylock nut mark its position and retighten to the same place this has a collapsible spacer inside.

do check the breather on the top of the os output shaft is clear it has a split pin in , if its clogged you will make leaks and could save a lot of work .. check this first

Pete

Guys

Thanks for all your help this forum is such a great place for information. I will replace my spring and diff seals when I know the weather is going to be bad after all don't want to miss any sunshine in the car

Thanks once again

Andrew

Thanks to all for the help answer to Clive no the diff seems ok but it is leaking oil from the pinion and both drive shafts I am told you need to remove the diff from the car and you need a hub puller to get the seals out of the shafts so I thought I might as well replace the whole unit while I am at it. Do you need a puller or should I just replace the seals.

Another question what does Spring lifter do and and do I need one to do the job or can I manage without it

Regard

Andrew

is the diff noisy or "clunky" or otherwise in poor mechanical condition? If the only problem you have is leaking oil, the first thing to do is to clean off the area around the breather on the top of the diff (on the RH "ear"). That tends to get blocked with road grime; the result is a buildup of pressure that forces oil out wherever it can go. I can't guarantee cleaning that area will stop all leaks, but it's a great and cheap first step.

You should have no "need" for a spring lifter. What you do need is at least the appropriate pages from the Factory Workshop Manual so you can do everything needed in the proper order, etc., etc.!

Hello Herald 948

Yes I have checked the breather on top of the diff some time ago but now you have bought it to my attention I will check it again forgot all about it to tell you the truth

No the Diff is not clunky or noisy do you think I should just replace the seals in that case

Andrew

I would think make the pin jiggling a anual exercise of youre going to grease the hubs and check diff oil levels , give it a twiddle

as yove checked it recently I guess its going to be a seal problem

Dont loose sleep over it diffs often drip as you park up but not when running

depends how many miles you do and wether you have sleep, in the shed due to oil patches

on the drive

pete

I got my new spring from Canleys but with the Vitesse i found the ends of the spring touched the rear brake cylinders.  When i spoke to Canleys they said to take half an inch off each bent over end which worked a treat.

This means it's the wrong spring for your car. You shouldn't have to cut or alter a correct one. If the large looped eye on each end is just that - a  large looped eye - then it's wrong; the correct spring with the smaller curved eye would have fitted first time and been nowhere near the rear brake cylinders. If I'm correct in remembering, the Spitfire family will take the larger eye but my GT6 and possibly your Vitesse too requires the smaller version. The photo shows a Spitfire one I had on my car for a while until I realised it was bending the rear cylinders downwards, and so replaced it with a NOS version from Chic Doig, which came nowhere near the brakes.

post-151-0-37960000-1463171222_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Re output shaft seals. Yes, can be tricky to get the bearing off, but if you look around I am certain exchange shafts are available at modest cost (little more than a bearing and seal)

Changing the seals will save you about £250 I reckon compared to a recon!

• Like 1

its Only when you fit a swinger  to a Herald or Vitesse that you get a spring with the large coil over end and  you have to fit re routed bundy on a bracket to clear the hose from making contact 

so agree with Colin ...wrong spring supplied

Pete

This means it's the wrong spring for your car. You shouldn't have to cut or alter a correct one. If the large looped eye on each end is just that - a  large looped eye - then it's wrong; the correct spring with the smaller curved eye would have fitted first time and been nowhere near the rear brake cylinders. If I'm correct in remembering, the Spitfire family will take the larger eye but my GT6 and possibly your Vitesse too requires the smaller version. The photo shows a Spitfire one I had on my car for a while until I realised it was bending the rear cylinders downwards, and so replaced it with a NOS version from Chic Doig, which came nowhere near the brakes.

Colin,

The NOS version looks to be a thinner grade than the older rusty spring in the photo. Would that be a problem??

Brian

It won't be a problem Brian as the spring is manufactured especially for your model - it may look thinner but the number of leaves etc are probably compensated; the swing spring had five fairly hefty ones and late GT6 had six. Once fitted to my GT6 the ride was definitely improved; no more bottoming out or banging noises from underneath and certainly no more worries about the brakes. I had to take it off the road immediately I realised there was contact between the eye and the rear cylinder, which there hadn't been whilst jacked up for the original fitting.