Pistons

Darren Groves

What is the difference between the pistons on a 1300 to 1500 engine? Their diameter is the same, on some of the traders websites the part number used for the 1300 engine is also used for 1500, does that mean they are interchangeable or just website anomalies?

Hello Darren.

I cannot help you with that question (sorry); but as an aside you may wish to consider FW Thornton for engine internals. www.fwthornton.co.uk

I have used them on many occasions for different vehicles. Their products, service and advice is second to none.

Just FYI.

Best wishes.

Richard.

Thanks Richard, I did send these guys a message last night so hopefully they'll have something.

I need a set of Pistons but really don't want the the County ones that all the traders supply. My usual sources of NOS haven't got anything, but do have some 1500 Hepolite pistons, so hence the question.

FWT keep a wide range of piston makes, so hopefully they will be able to assist and job done.

Another company I have used, who actually did a fantastic job on my Vitesse cylinder head conversion, is Sutton Rebore, Sutton Surrey - 020 8642 3419. They do not have a website as they are a traditional family run business; where they get all their work via word of mouth. Again another company with helpful advice.

Good luck.

Richard.

the ring sets are common 1300/1500  the pistons are very different , as the 1500 has the longer stroke I guess the governing factor is the relative position of the gudgen pin bore or the height of the piston from the pin bore    certainly part numbers for pistons are 1300 to 1500 are very different 

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd follow up on this.

I couldn't track down a set of NOS pistons for my Herald, well not at a price that was reasonable, so have ended with a set of County ones. I bought them from a company called GBH Spares who by chance are about 6 miles from where live in sunny Devon. He's an old guy, a bit grumpy on the phone but a nice old boy face to face. The stock he has is quite incredible and what I saw was only the half of it, he supplies much of the trade with NOS & reproduced items.

I had a long chat with him why I didn't want to buy County pistons, I bought the last set from him 3-4 years ago and I have the symptoms of ring failure in under 10k miles, so didn't want that again. I also read on another forum of poor quality rings with these pistons and obviously it is true as when he sells them now he supplies them with sets of rings that he has made especially.

I think the only other brand of piston you can get for our cars now are made by an Australian company called JP, they are worse quality still, so if you embarking on an engine rebuild, just be aware of what you're buying. I called all the usual suppliers and they all sell County sets. I'm not saying all the rings in all County pistons are poor, but there must be enough dodgy ones out there for him to feel he has to get alternatives made.

• Like 1

FWT keep a wide range of piston makes, so hopefully they will be able to assist and job done.

Another company I have used, who actually did a fantastic job on my Vitesse cylinder head conversion, is Sutton Rebore, Sutton Surrey - 020 8642 3419. They do not have a website as they are a traditional family run business; where they get all their work via word of mouth. Again another company with helpful advice.

Good luck.

Richard.

I thought Sutton Rebore had folded

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2230641

They were a great company. I used them many a time especially with my Dolomite engine re-build parts.

I thought Sutton Rebore had foldedhttps://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2230641

They were a great company. I used them many a time especially with my Dolomite engine re-build parts.

Sutton Rebore have most definitely NOT folded. They have just moved to a new workshop which is literally behind where they used to be.

They are very near to me and everyone who I know who has used them highly recommends them, so they will be rebuilding my Zodiac engine very soon.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Eddie. It has been some years since I used them, but cannot recommended them highly enough from personal experience.

Regards.

Richard.

I think the only other brand of piston you can get for our cars now are made by an Australian company called JP, they are worse quality still, so if you embarking on an engine rebuild, just be aware of what you're buying. I called all the usual suppliers and they all sell County sets. I'm not saying all the rings in all County pistons are poor, but there must be enough dodgy ones out there for him to feel he has to get alternatives made.

I am sure I was told that County Pistons are fitted with one make of rings, but if you buy a set of County rings they are from a different supplier (one from Israel or Switzerland??) and are of a much higher quality.

So you buy the pistons which are apparently a good quality, if slightly heavy, casting, and well matched on weights, discard the rings, and fit a set of the rings from the other supplier.

Now whether that is correct.....

Cheers

The rings you get with the County pistons are hit or miss, the ones I fitted 3 years ago are failing already after less than 10k miles.

I've bought 2 piston sets recently, on one I got a set of Hepolite rings, the other a set the supplier had manufactured. I personally would avoid County rings

• 1 year later...

Hello All

I am in the process of acquiring parts for the new engine and trying to decide the best value for money(not necessarily the very very best) as it is a road car not race!

I was looking at pistons and prices! FW Thornton quoted £320 + vat!!!!!! = £384!!!!!!!!

But I can get county for £104 including vat!

http://www.sussexclassiccar.co.uk/shop_factory_hazel/contents/en-uk/d1273_01.html

Then I came across this article.

http://wbclassics.com/tech/tr6/engine/triumph-tr6-cast-piston-comparison

So perhaps County are not so bad after all for a road car in mild tune?

Then I came across these on Fleabay I assume they are King but not sure which grade?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-1500-UPRATED-big-end-BEARINGS-010-SIZE-MG-MIDGET-1500/292181855075?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Still undecided whether to fit camshaft bearings and have a Newman PH2 cam ground on a small journal(as an old engineer things running in bearings seem right) I know cast iron has good lubrication properties it just don't seem right(but I am old so what do I know?)

So lets have your two pennyworth of opinions!

Roger

ps With the aching head?

Hello All

I decided to go for the County pistons(cost did sway the decision!) they arrived today and the labels on the box say the pistons were made in Taiwan and the rings made in USA!

So I think I will take a chance and use the rings(surely USA have some sort of standards?)

I have weighed them with pins and on my old Argos scales they are within 1gram of each other(ordered new scales 0.1gm as now realize I am giving to much Ganga away! only joking!) how close should I aim for?

The old AE pistons are 5gms heavier with pins and they are 0.020" smaller?

Roger