uprate rear brakes

djn

Yes, I remember when avocados were the devil's fruit, now they are a super food. Margarine used to be far belter for us than butter, until we found out what was actually in margarine. Another 10 years and we will discover the health giving properties of alcohol and fags!

Yes, I remember when avocados were the devil's fruit, now they are a super food. Margarine used to be far belter for us than butter, until we found out what was actually in margarine. Another 10 years and we will discover the health giving properties of alcohol and fags!

Nothing wrong with the 'real' natural foodstuffs, such as butter, full fat milk or the like - it's just the quantities that some people consume it in, as well as a total lack of exercise, that means people don't burn it off like they used to and so attempts are made to replace it with stuff that has the nourishment value of sawdust - eat as much as you like it won't do any harm. Or good, either. 

In any case, no matter how healthy we all are - or not - we still die anyway. Depressing, ain't it? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Jigsaw have relined my shoes with Mintex MCL7 competition liners. Any advice on bedding in procedure? Should I carry out the 1144 style bedding in proccess using only the handbrake?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No Clive, the point is asbestos is dangerous and you shouldn't be using it.

The 'danger' with Asbestos was with car mechanics doing brakes day in and day out and using airlines to blow out the dust from the drums.

A paper dust mask and fluid brake cleaner effectively eliminates the danger of asbestos dust in suspension, and the exposure for a home user is utterly miniscule.

Asbestos is not a 'one time exposure and it kills' you danger.

I strongly disagree about the paper dust mask. They are of zero help if dealing with asbestos. In fact when I was testing for asbestos in air, the UK system then (30 years ago!) involved testing for fibers we could see with a microscope (bit more complex than that but you get the idea) However, these are too large to be harmful, but were used to idicate that the really small, harmful fibers were present. The USA at the time required samples to be checked with electron microscopes.

When bashing asbestos samples up I used a proper air-fed mask, a negative pressure fume cupboard and protective clothing. My personal clothing was pre-washed to remove fibers before going in the std wash. 

However, mainly you have the correct idea. Wash asbestos away, and it is mainly when users are exposed over time. However, one-off exposure to high levels has been fatal in the past. Especially if the victim is a smoker (it multoplies the risk)

With brakes, there is (was?) a very small chance of brake technicians suffering. I take sensible precautions by washing brakes, no airlines and so on.