Brake master cylinder size

frogeyeman

Continuation from previous topic on correct brake master cylinder for Bond equipe 2 litre. The one fitted now looks like a clutch master cylinder so I purchased the correct one which has a .7 bore and larger reservoir as per the workshop manual. Before I removed the old master cylinder I checked the bore size and found that it was 3/4 bore which is larger than the correct one. The symptom I have is a fair amount of pressure is required to stop the car,more than it should be. The car pulls up in a straight line and both calipers are free. On a previous Forum it was suggested that a larger size than is required could give this problem. Did the 2 litre Vitesse have a 3/4 bore master cylinder fitted or has someone just used what they had at the time? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :(

3/4 bore is common on some other cars, and also cheap. Often sold as "uprated" which is nonsense!

Changing to a .7 will give approx 15% more pressure at the brakes for the same pedal effort (though longer pedal travel)

And I had a .75 cylinder on my spitfire, but that had 4 pot brakes so not comparable. Late GT6 fitted with a servo had a .75 too.

the 0.70" was introduced i believe with the type 16 calipers , with drums 12s and 14s it was 0.625"

fitting this a s an alternative  would give a great reduction in pedal load but may give too long travel with the bigger 16 piston displacement 

agree with Clive the 3/4"is a common cheaper option mainly land rover based aftermarket supplied , never a small chassis spec.

another simple way to improve braking is to fit a bigger pedal pad .. makes a  cheap and surprising improvement 

Pete

Thanks for the info Clive and Pete. I forgot to add that the car is fitted with a remote servo. I will give the new .7  cylinder a go and see what happens,at least it will change the brake fluid in the system! Is the handbrake always bad on the Vitesse? According to all the old MOTs it only just gets through the handbrake test with an advisory issued about it.

the handbrakes are often marginal, see the post about lever extenders,

in the main remove the clevis from the backplate lever,   fully lock up the adjusters,

refit the cables to  just a neat fit ,with the wheels on the ground or supported,|(not hanging) then release the adjuster about 3 to 4 clicks

make sure the relay lever has cables in the correct holes and the angle is as per the Manual

grease  the slides .

and thats about it.

Pete