Glasses, of all things...

derekskill

Evening all,  I've been checking the gearbox oil on my Spitfire this afternoon, a fairly easy job with the inspection cover mod, but the trouble I have is age/sight-related.

I use vari-focal glasses and certain jobs like this can be a pain due to the position that I have to get my head to to get the focus correct, if you get what I mean, in order to get a screwdriver blade aligned with the slot in the cheese-head screw. While I was doing this I had a thought about getting a pair of the cheapo reading glasses that you see in various shops. 

Does anyone else have this (slight) irritation and if so, how do you deal with it? Have you tried these type of  glasses? I do realise that prescription glasses are set up to match each eye but they would only be used on occasion.

WHO used to introduce a Saturday evening programme with "Evening All" ? You're showing your age if you know this one...

Reading glasses are just magnifying lenses. I used to wear contact lenses and had several pairs of Boots £5 reading glasses to put on over the top when my close up vision started to go. Now I have vari-focals. which are good for casual reading and walking around the supermarket, but rubbish for driving. So I have plain standard glasses in the car, vari-focals for walking around and I take off the glasses for close up stuff AND I add the reading glasses if I need REALLY close up vision. Old age is a bugger!

Dixon did'nt wear glasses  ,,just a truncheon

cheap readers are fine if they have a prescription close to what you need .some are well made for a few ££

just use the reading scale on the display ..  

what you need is upside down vari focals,  or hang upside down from the garage roof trussses   with a head torch...simpluze

Pete

Derek, it was Andy,

nah then, nah then, whats a going on eer.

what did Billy Bean make ?

what password, I need a pin number ,

now keep a little book for log on and PW its everwhere whether its buying high waisted trousers or

Meter readings there are so many log ins, its not wise to duplicate but real problems for some

I could find me glasses I could find me slippers , dont ask why I had to get up early

Billy Bean and his funny machine? circa 1954 just looked it up. Can't say I remember it, did we have a TV then? My dad made our first TV out of bits bought from the army surplus. Didn't have a case, just electrical bits lying on the floor, green screen 3" diameter. Health and safety?!! Ha!

My daughter has a gizmo the recognises her eyeball! No need for a password.

Dunno, her glasses are normally lost. Wikipedia, font of all knowledge, say it works with glasses and contact lenses. But does that mean you always have to have them on? Also says the system can be fooled by a high quality photograph! Saw a gruesome episode of NCIS where someone's eyeball was removed to enable access to national secrets. They obviously didn't know a photograph would do.

what balls  ??   

I dont recognise mine any longer 

billy had a song

like  'billy bean built a machine to see what it could do'   ..got to sing it in black and white, ours was a 12" Bush  lasted 23 years 

think dad got it for the coronation , most of the road came in for a watch a drink  I remember he made a pub sign called the Pig and Whistle over the door 

Ok so what was Willie the Worm and   Peregrine  the penguin, Primrose     and others in ???   eehaw