Oiling /Greasing Trunnions

Always thought that the use of oil was recommended because it flowed in the trunnion while in use while grease will not.

Assume Triumph did research into this or was he recommending some modern semi liquid grease.

I use EP90 GL4.

Regards

Paul

He concluding that modern grease was just as good as oil

and i am convinced he was wrong.  He was looking at the lubricating properties of the alternatives and took no account of the lack of fluidity of the grease, nor the particular design of the lower steering swivel (LSS). Any lubricant supporting the weight of a car on the moving screw threads will be forced away from the two bearing surfaces, leaving them in direct metal to metal contact.  The particular design of the LSS forces the oil up through the lands  (vertical gaps or grooves passing through the threads) to coat the higher thread surfaces as they pass through the lands, ready for continued lubrication.  Once grease has be squeezed out and pushed around a bit, probably blocking the lands there in no refreshing of the bearing surfaces by 'fresh' recycled lubricant.  

Note:  it is due to the shearing action of the bearing surfaces that hypoid oil is recommended, as it is for bevel cut gears in gearboxes, etc.  Again, as i recall, the contributor referred to above did not account for the resistance of hypoid oil to shearing.

Slight rant over.

C.

BTW, the bit we are talking about is actually not the Trunnion (hence my referring to LSS).  The Trunnion is the pivot with the bolt through to the wishbones.   Not that it bothers me !

But that is the beauty of the oil-can technique. You don't use a nipple, so the only resistance is the passage down the upright and back up the threads. Any half-decent oil can will work. 

My 26 year old draper oilcan certainly gives a good squirt, as do the other oilcans I have acquired over the years. However, for trunnions I have a little greasegun, bought for 50p which is brilliant. One fill tops up a pair of trunnions. Then again, thesedays I have trunnionless uprights on my spitfire......

Clive, are you using the Canley Classics modification? If so, what's your verdict?......

Yes, the CC conversion.

To me it was a no-brainer. I was building a quick spitfire, so using 45 year old uprights that had led a miserable life (most have) was a no-no. Compare he costs of the trunnionless uprights to new std uprights with new trunnions etc, and there isn't a big difference.

The trunnionless conversion is not perfect, but it is a decent one and utilises the caterham upright, so is the evolution of what or cars came with. I am very happy with it. (gt6 type uprights and stub axles, brakes etc and vented discs) I really ought to investigate the solid bearing spacers from shacktune....

• 3 months later...

A Wanner like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WANNER-OIL-GUN-Direct-From-Myford/120889885221 

Wow, pricey indeed at £75. I've never yet found a grease/oil gun that actually got anything past the ball valve in the nipple, including a gun much the same as the shop one, so I've used the top-up routine. But if there's anything affordable that someone swears by I'd love to know!

A Wanner like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WANNER-OIL-GUN-Direct-From-Myford/120889885221 

Wow, pricey indeed at £75. I've never yet found a grease/oil gun that actually got anything past the ball valve in the nipple, including a gun much the same as the shop one, so I've used the top-up routine. But if there's anything affordable that someone swears by I'd love to know!

My Wanner gun was either £15 or £18 from the autojumble at Luton Transport Festival. It copes fine with pumping EP80/90 through a grease nipple as long as it's aligned okay. £75 seems somewhat over-priced...

Gully

The use of the word "nipple" seems to be causing undue titillation- stop that giggling at the back at once!

The Americans, I notice tend to use the term "zerk" (s)or more rarely Alemite(s)

This is not because of any prudery or that there , err .. nipples are called " Zerks" but after Mr Oscar U Zerk who invented a one way valve for grease points - spring loaded ball bearing valve , patenting it for the Alemite company in the 1920's.

The design has remained effectively unchanged since.

He had also invented oilers for steam engines and railway axle bearings.

Reluctant to enter the "The Great Oil or Grease Trunnion Debate' , viewing it as a spectator sport.

However:

1 I would only say that the Wanner 315 grease gun never fails or leaks for me.

2 ... here goes,.. I humbly offer the suggestion of using EP90 GL4 but with Molyslip gear box oil additive so getting perhaps the best of both worlds -best that oil can offer with the added back up of the molybdenum disulphide for it's 'dry' use ability.

...and I see that there are used Wanners on ebay. I'll have one last go with my own side-lever grease gun, because I've found the steel delivery tube, which I'd forgotten I had! That should give a better grip on things, I'll have fitted the flexible hose for somewhere awkward on a bike. Molybdenum, eh... There's a thought.

Yes the dust covers do the job. Don't get me started on rude tools, I have a file that works on wood and metal, it's proper name is, a bastard file. 

Ever come across a "c*** splice"? Sorry, I'll rephrase that.... ever seen one?

Edited by KevinR
Admin : profanity removal