Oiling /Greasing Trunnions

• 1 month later...

The bore size is more related to volume than pressure ,Doug - pressure = force/area so if you want high pressure from same force reduce the bore size not increase.

I haven't seen the club oiler.

The easiest gun to use for grease or oil I found is the pistol grip Swiss made Wanner 315

It is also the easiest quickest and least messy to fill with either grease or oil and if filled with oil,doesn't leak oil everywhere.t 

Generates up to 5000 psi (not that is relevant for the trunnions)

They seem to last for ever.Ihave had mine for over forty years.

I don't now if they still make them.

They crop up on eBay for as little as a tenner

Agree with you. The Wanner is the best and I've just bought another one from e bay, its old but it works great, only cost a tenner and more importantly it came with a flexible connector. I will keep this one for oil only, but will empty the oil out of it after I've  used it. 

• 5 years later...

Just to say that I used Colins method to OIL the front Trunnions this morning using an oil can into the Nipple holes, having removed them. It was a doddle. When I use oil in the grease gun, I always end up with oil in the armpit via the elbow. Does not do much for the arthritis and makes the shirts stink!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wagger said:

. Does not do much for the arthritis and makes the shirts stink!

But you won't squeek😂

Did mine again last week, it scented the carpark floor when it dripped out. I used a wanner but greased the inside of the container to stop it pi**ing out. Seemed to work. 

I love the smell of EP90, a lovely vegetably smell. 

I do however hate grease nipples; hateful things that rarely work for me. The grease comes out round the side and not through. After spending an hour soaking five in petrol, squirting carb cleaner into them and poking with a pin, I gave up and simply put the nozzle of the grease gun to where they came out of. (rear trunnions, rear hubs and steering rack) I found that if the nozzle of the grease gun is held squarely and firmly against the hole the grease goes in; fill the hole to the top, wipe off the excess and screw the grease nipple back in. Screwing it in forces the grease further into the interior. 

If you take a grease nipple and simply squirt grease through it, the recommended 'five strokes or so' you see how little it actually is in some cases. I reckon I'm putting the same or slightly more in by my method.

20 hours ago, Wagger said:

Just to say that I used Colins method to OIL the front Trunnions this morning using an oil can into the Nipple holes, having removed them. It was a doddle. When I use oil in the grease gun, I always end up with oil in the armpit via the elbow. Does not do much for the arthritis and makes the shirts stink!

I have been using this method for years with just a bog standard £3.99 Halfords oil can. It works a treat. 

2 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Have Wanner grease guns for oil and grease with lock on connectors, similar to the picture, no problem with leaky nipples. Regards Paul.

Ok, I'll say it. There are thousands of young ladies who would probably pay good money for something similar!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Trunnions I have an old oil can with the lever pump type. The end that goes inside the grease nipple hole is filed to fit snug! Then i pump till the oil appears from the seal. 

I use exactly the same method only my oil can didn't need filing.