springs 137532

Joachim Moeller

Hi! While taking care of the spherical post for the clutch fork (see engine section) I've separated the bellhousing from the gearbox. This isn't necessary - I know now - but in doing so I've found a totally broken input sealing AND the three springs between the bellhousing and the gearbox were missing. Obviously someone in the past has forgotten them or thought they weren't necessary. So, what is their use (other than putting somje sort of tension between the parts they are mounted between) and what are the results if they are omitted? Cheers Joachim

Hi the three springs are an attempt to cure /damp backlash rattle on tick over,  on  later boxes these  holes and springs were deleted.

if you leave them out there wont be any catastrophe   or any grate  gain by fitting them either   so not to worry ,  if you have some fit them 

if you end up stripping the box make sure you get the important and correct springs for the sliding sleeves as 3/th are different to 1//2nd

if you need to the front cover is just a tap in fit in the clutch housing and easy to remove, ,a smear of sealant when refitting 

make sure the two lower hsg bolts are sealed and have a copper washer or they will leak

Pete

Thanks Pete, I hope i don't have to strip the box (but in case your help is recognized). You say the two lower bolts are sealed with copper washers. According to the parts catalogue only the lowest bolt has a copper washer fitted (GT& MkI gearbox) whereas the other four bolts (fitted up to either side of the box) have spring washers only ? By the way when I removed the bell housing only one of the upper bolts has had a copper washer - so no wonder there was some oil inside the housing...  Cheers Joachim

post-49-0-42770700-1413403949_thumb.jpg