Angle grinder buying advice

Robin

The corded one the "fell over" was an old Draper 600W, which I`ve had since the 90`s. Nice handy size too, easy to use one handed.

I may even look out for something similar. They do get most use in the garage, so maybe the "portability" is not quite so urgently necessary. Perhaps wait until the Lidle /Aldi (offers) come back?

Pete

Just for absolute devilment ......

I read the Aldi battery grinder blurb with interest where it says. "This great set also includes our Activ Energy 20/40V Battery with a quick charge time with Li-Ion technology, and our Activ Energy 20/40V Battery Charger that boasts a super fast charge time of approximately 95 minutes, so you can crack on with the job as quickly as possible!"...and thought about the comments on the EV Flat thread about the interesting things that you can do while desparately waiting for your battery to charge so you can carry on.  Ok, found tin hat and off to dig shelter at the bottom of the garden to avoid incoming flac!!!

• Haha 1

I have a DeWalt, corded.    Very good too, it succeeded my old Bosch that must have been thirty years old!   Never needed, never wanted a cordless - if you were 'in the field' I can see the need, but not otherwise.

On waiting for one of those to recharge, the delay that annoys me most is changing the disc (grinding/cutting) or putting a cup brush on.    Doesn't take long but breaks up the flow of work.   If I had a major project, I think I'd invest in at least another, so I didn't have to do this.       In the Project Binky workshop they have a "Grinder Scarecrow" a stand for four or five of them, each with a different implement on it!

Got my eye on a Dewalt from Screwfix, however at least the 3 closest outlets have no stock!. The current nearest is over 40 miles away!. Looks like It will be Click and collect and wait while they deliver to the nearest store. OR I can have a Bosch or a Makita from Amazon tomorrow?. Decision time, I suspect!!.

Pete

Hi Folks,

I bought a corded Black&Decker back in the early 90's for my 4A rebuild - nice and small with 100mm(4" discs) can get in most places.

However having small discs they wear out quickly.

I would give it 'Foive'

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

I bought a corded Black&Decker back in the early 90's for my 4A rebuild - nice and small with 100mm(4" discs) can get in most places.

However having small discs they wear out quickly.

I would give it 'Foive'

Roger

I've also been using a B&D - albeit a 4.5 inch - since the early 1990s, and it's still going strong.

I had a small cordless 'Dremel' type tool from Lidl, it lasted about a year whilst the corded Dremel I have (genuine version), is still going strong. One thing I've found, though - buy good discs. Cheap ones will shatter or break almost instantly.

19 hours ago, PeteH said:

OR I can have a Bosch or a Makita from Amazon tomorrow?

Buy one quickly before they throw them away.... today's News scandal!! https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/21/22543527/amazon-unsold-products-destruction-investigation

That, and Amazon's alleged shortage of cardboard - not surprising when you see the size of the box in which they sent me a new phone case...

D21267CD-4152-45A8-9745-62E8300CD5C8_1_105_c.jpg.b483367f6db6509beedc29dec729a8a7.jpg

I did a search for cutting discs just now... I've used thin versions before and they're excellent but not sure what this seller means:

"The individual cutters are manufactured with high-strength steel that allows for increased working life because during use they perform a rolling motion that creates no Friction and benefits The operator by maximizing performance in various geological formations" 😕

I've been through dozens of power tools and similarly the people with whom I work. The story is always the same: Penny pinching on tools and consumables is never cost-effective over the long run. The 'safe bets' are the respected brands: DeWalt, Hikoki (Hitahci), Bosch, Makita (leaving aside the seriously high end super expensive brands)

My neighbour gave me (off the record) how it works with the cheapie brands (e.g. Silverline). The sellers (e.g Toolstation) know full well that about one fifth of units will fail prematurely. But they also know that a large proportion of customers can't be bothered to bring the defective unit back for refund or replacement. As a business model that's genius!!!

On AVERAGE the best outcome is spending to get the best one can afford in the first place.

My contribution is.....cheapest piece of metal you can buy from screwfix. I've got DIY tools that I specifically used for DIY construction and lasted for a very long time. Found out very quickly that an expensive tool still has (I think) a duty load that if continuously used will burn out. Whilst stripping the underside of the car I burnt out a drill using a wire brush and the same with an angle grinder. Short periods, high quallity tools last. Long periods, view them as disposable so buy cheap. If you have access to a power supply....why cordless?

One of my dewalt batteries for my drill has given up the ghost after 20 yrs.... things just aren't built to last!!

But to clarify Chris and Mathew, if you are going to use for hard and long periods, cheap, but standard duty loads go for quality...BUT...I have to say the Titan range at screwfix has been a real workhorse for me and so far has not let me down for a basic tool!

My Dad always told me..let the tool do the work, that's why you bought it.

On a slightly different tack, during the 70s hifi rush I read that a company made X thousand bare amplifier units. Manufacturer A bought a quantity, tested them, returned the aug standard ones and incorporated  the acceptable ones into their bright shiny badged super expensive cases. Manufacturer B bought the same unit, tested 1 in 100 etc badged them in their product and sold as middle of the road unit. Manufacturer C only tested 1 in 10,000 and these were bargain basement/supermarket sales. Vague memories but you get the idea. Testing and quality control are expensive. The same goes for spare parts for our cars. 

As you know, I have a selection of Lidl battery tools. They suit my needs, appear to be well made with a three year guarantee. After then, or probably before then, I've dropped them, lost them or just used them for something that seamed a good idea at the time that killed them, even though I do take care of my stuff.

Just a few memories to mull over on a wet morning

9 hours ago, Adrian said:

My contribution is.....cheapest piece of metal you can buy from screwfix.

Sometimes that works, but I've had cheap screwdriver bit sets that the point wore off almost instantly, cheap sockets that split under any pressure, blades that splintered, punches that bent and rechargeable batteries that didn't. You don't need to spend big money, just stay away from the tat and find out what the professionals use. There's no need to splash out on seriously 'professional' tools - the ones the professional garages use on a daily basis - but there's also a lower limit. I've got two great shops locally that the serious mechanics and handymen use. They won't spend two pounds where one will do but they won't throw money away on unsuitable stuff either.

talking cheap tools    i was silly enough to buy two snap on posidrive No2s both soft as sh1t  lifetime warranty they changed them 3 times all been hopeless  the old blue Stanley

posidrives i had from work are over 30 years old and still the most reliable 

you dont always get what you expect 

on rebuilding the Vit6 chassis it took 2 BQ own brand  angle drives  which both exploded  and replace with a Bosch which still works well 10 years on 

Pete

I use DeWalt battery drills, a 3/8in NiCad ( now 20 years old) and 1/2in Li-on, I use the smaller more frequently as it's lighter, I also have a DW Li-on Impact driver with 1/2 socket drive fantastic bit of kit, all brought new at around 1/3 cost of recommended cost separately off fleabay, batteries ex HK never looked back, then the daughter in laws dad tells me his company makes most of the major makes, he's VP of a company in Taiwan who makes most of the major drills and power elect equipment for the major names.

To cut the seized subframe bolts on my Sprint I brought a cheapie mains power saw ($50) did the job in around 30sec each bolt, the whole street has used it to cut trees up, cut roots out, even a  Ford Tudor body down for a hot rod, the saw just won't die, it rattles & is a bit sloppy now, I want it to die so I have justification to buy a DeWalt battery power saw.

Re good vs cheap angle cutters I have an expensive one (Ryobi) and a cheapie (warranty 5 years) for rough work, the gear mesh is chalk and cheese, the cheapie you can feel the gear slack!

The decision has been made. I await the arrival of the corded De-Walt. We will see what transpires ultimately. 2quid more than  Screwfix, (but no 80 mile round trip to collect). And 25quid off by virtue of a forgotton Amazon Voucher, plus free "prime" Freight, arriving by Saturday???.🤞.

Pete

If you buy the Aldi (and possibly Lidl too) twisted wire discs you will need full protection gear including very strong overalls, gloves and full face visor. I used some last year and ended up like a porcupine. As they wear, they shed steel wire at whatever speed you are working at. It comes off like shrapnel. They are exceptionally good but very dangerous if you have not taken precautions. Oh yes, nobody nearby.. at least you don't get someone saying.. you've missed a bit!!

• Like 1

Very true; I find bristles stuck in my clothes for hours afterwards.

I usually sneak a look at whatever workmen are using professionally when they come to my house; De Walt, Makita and Milwaukee seem very popular. Certainly the cordless De Walt screwdriver / drill I bought two years ago is very solid and goes through anything.

i have 3 makita battery drills one came with me when i retired its 1990 ish and still going , I have 3 as the local hire shop is an agent and often sells incomplete

sets if there is a battery pack the set is usually cheaper than a replace or recelled battery these are all pre lithium 

but the machines have lasted very well often much overloaded and on and on they go  but its which one do i use today  

Pete

That's the beast. Bloodsucking and lethal (the brush, not Andy's hand).

As regards the battery drills. I have had a cheap & cheerful and a DeWalt. Mechanically great but the batteries have died and as Pete says, not worth replacing/re-celling. I hate scrapping good stuff like this. I also have a Makita drill, great kit, but again the batteries died so I got a couple (well 4 over the years) for the Makita and one for the DeWalt, off fleabay. Not as good but a backup. I just hope that Lidl don't change the design of their tools and make all my tools & batteries obsolete. Their great selling point, one 20v battery for the heavy duty range or one 12v (was 10v but they changed it!!!) for the small stuff. I think Ryobi stated a similar thing but again, a different config to make you stick to their tools. One day, the green earth brigade will get on the 'one battery fits all' band-wagon and that will really be something really worthwhile.  Takes me around the the 'Flat EV' thread...well maybe not!! Maybe I can run a car off my Lidl batteries??

21 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Maybe I can run a car off my Lidl batteries??

I can see it now, A row of (Aldi, Liddle, De-Walt, B&D whatever) Pushed into the rear panel of the car, take `em out and swap for a fresh charged set from the stock in the boot.?👍

Guess what turned up about 3pm today?.

image.png.5126a217153192f35905af7cfb21cbe9.png

As you can see, already had a "play". Heavier than the last one, but feels reasonably balanced, and possible to work one  handed with. Not bad for ordering late Yesterday?.

Pete