Spit Mk IV Diff Oil Seal

Seeking some guidance on accessing the drive pinion(dp) nut on the diff(leaving it in place) in order to replace the oil seal, the Haynes manual says undo prop shaft & remove but there is not sufficient space to move it away to fully access the castellated nut that retains the drive pinion coupling flange. My Spit has the strap type prop shaft hence fixed length; I believe undoing the strap is a nono. So do I need to uncouple the gearbox end of the prop to create an opportunity to slide the whole prop forward to gain access to the  nut that secures  dp coupling flange? As you can guess I have no wish to drop the diff to do a bench overhaul! Just to complete info I have not dropped the silencer but I cannot see how this helps apart from access to p/shaft/diff bolts.

there is no reason why you dont dis assemble a strap drive,,

keep the straps interleaved  and re grease the sigot shaft bore on refitting

will the prop lift up to clear the diff?  or you may take the whole thing out ,  then exhaust and HB cables can get in the way

if you have a castle nut on the diff coupling you have solid bearing spacers  remove nut pul coupling off ,pry out old seal   tap in new fit 

and retorque nut.

if nyloc nut this has collapsible spacer and this needs mark its position and retighten back to its original place 

or   you can increase the bearing preload if overtightened further than its production fitting.

Pete