Diff replacement

I have Vitesse 2 litre MK 2 with a noisy diff., there is some  noise whilst driving but trouble

is most apparent when moving away slowly or reversing. 

I happen to have a diff which came out of a 2 litre Mk 1, does anyone know whether this

would be a direct replacement ? I know that the ratio is the same, but I read somewhere

that the Mk 2 has a stronger spring and I wonder whether there is a difference in the studs

securing spring to diff.

I have changed diffs on a non rotoflex car before which was quite easy, I wonder just how

difficult the Mk 2  will be. I know that a special tool is required to deal with the spring.

Any advice please?

Jeff.

I have Vitesse 2 litre MK 2 with a noisy diff., there is some  noise whilst driving but trouble

is most apparent when moving away slowly or reversing. 

I happen to have a diff which came out of a 2 litre Mk 1, does anyone know whether this

would be a direct replacement ? I know that the ratio is the same, but I read somewhere

that the Mk 2 has a stronger spring and I wonder whether there is a difference in the studs

securing spring to diff.

I have changed diffs on a non rotoflex car before which was quite easy, I wonder just how

difficult the Mk 2  will be. I know that a special tool is required to deal with the spring.

Any advice please?

Jeff.

Jeff

The Mk1 Diff will be a straight Swop, the Mk2 Vitesse does have a different profile spring but still bolts to the diff with the same 6 Studs as all Heralds & Vitesse's?

A spring lifting tool will be needed on the Mk2 with the Rotoflex suspension, have a read of a Workshop manual regarding the Diff swop.

Regards

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Pete

I've now had a more intensive look. With the wheels on the ground there is about 5-10 degrees of play in the

propshaft. There is a notchy sound and feel whilst moving the shaft by hand.

The u/js appear ok, no movement or any tell tale signs under the circlips. I have never dealt with Rotoflex joints

before however they look alright, there are a (very) few hairline cracks in the rubber that is all.

As I said before the trouble is most apparent when manouvering slowly when there is severe juddering at

the back and again at about 45 mph when there is rumble which is felt as much as heard.

I think suspicion points to the pinion and pinion bearings. My spare diff. has a little less free play and

certainly no roughness can be felt (it is not fitted to a car and I have never used it.) If it were not in

good order I wonder how apparent that would be when it is sitting on the bench.

Any comments.

Jeff

There is alway a good what seems backlash on a pinion coupling as you are feeling the play kn the differential sun and planets , not easy to detect the few thou backlash of the crownwheel and pinion

it should have some light resistance when turning the pinion as it should have some pre load,

it should not be notchy, just smoothish.

light ozone cracks in the rota flex is pretty normal, splits or delaminating or signs of parting adhesion is

on its way out, they can last looking rough for many. Many miles or years

odd flaps/films of rubber from its moulding process is normal,

they are not easy to change club shop sell good ones

pete