Brake Light Switch

68vitesse

Checked the lights today found brake lights not working, has any one found a modern replacement for the so called Lucas switch. Plunger on existing switch sticking can not say that I'm impressed with the quality it was changed for the same reason no long ago. 

Car is a MK1 2L Vitesse so switch worked by brake pedal not hydraulics.

Regards

Paul

Have a look/trawl through ebay. There are some excellent nissen switches, and doubtless many others, that will work. Most are the screwed thread type, so will adjust to our cars. Just try to find an OEM one as opposed to a repro.

Thanks to one and all, seems like a lot of options, found a mention of a switch from 3 series BMW and some Volvo's being fitted to Tr6. Have a brake pedal assembly from my long term project which I can take with me to a motor factors tomorrow, one of the benefits of being retired.

Regards

Paul

I used this switch from Euro's http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Light-Switch-BMW-3-Series-E30-E21-Volvo-240-940-850-760-740-240-/230958745598?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&hash=item35c636c7fe:g:lT0AAMXQ71xRXtXx

Looks like the same one as the others, but you might have a local store to collect from? it works very well.

Regards Mike

Mine still has the original switch, which is now 61 years old, not much wrong with the original ones!  You have probably been hit by the curse of the crap repro part :(

I find this lot quite useful:

http://www.autoelectricalspares.co.uk/

Or failing that, Europa Spares, but as others have said, any half decent plunger switch from a quality car should adapt.

Regards

Steve

just to add we used this  plastic switch for years on some trucks , to make it reliable  there must be a deep nut on the plunger side to act as pedal stop, do not rely on the switch plunger to arrest the pedal it will just bash the switch apart as the pedal returns 

as many have experienced ,, make up spacers with washers or what ever to give the pedal back stop a firm solid abutment to return to 

Pete

giggling pin ...  supposed to control drips 

we had a quiz on Hols  this week,  parts of the human body....    question ...a girls name....

can you imagine the sorts of answers that a load of old cronies came up with

well the answer was    Iris    !!!!!!!!!!!!     there's no   sense of humour left 

Pete