Vitesse MK2 Spin off conversion oil filter

Paul H

I believe the spring loading is to cater for the fact that some of the grooves for the o-ring are not uniform depth between different engine blocks and the spring pushes the casing outwards to help seal the o-ring.

From Rimmers site:

"Anti Oil Pressure Delay Adaptor for Spin on Filter with revised design spring loaded centre which better tolerates any variations in engine block mating faces."

9 minutes ago, TRevver said:

I believe the spring loading is to cater for the fact that some of the grooves for the o-ring are not uniform depth between different engine blocks

Correct. The original design of adapter relied on a specific profile from the outer groove to the centre flat. Triumph did not design for that - the original canister has a spring loaded fitment for the filter element. The newer adapter design more closely matches what the block was designed to have fitted.

That said, my Vitesse has the original type, as did my 2500S, and I've not had any trouble with them.

On 12/01/2021 at 16:11, Pete Lewis said:

on a mk1 you may have the early breather pipe down nr the fuel pump , if you have this you have to re route/modify it or the spin on kit wont fit 

made mine from plumbing fittings a rubber Hose can also work

Pete

P1010008 (2).JPG

Here’s mine I’m mocking up today on my spare engine!

39763E9B-8A64-495C-BF27-FD7EE9358AAD.jpeg

In the Porter & Williams restoration book (which is quite old now) they show a remote filter adaptor assembly - looks like the Mocal adaptor plate with pipe fittings taking braided oil hoses to a spin-on filter plate that can be mounted on the bulkhead or chassis rail. Much better and more flexible arrangement, but I've never found one. The single piece spin-on adaptor available now is a nightmare for the GT6 for all the reasons photographed above!

Gully  

32 minutes ago, Gully said:

In the Porter & Williams restoration book (which is quite old now) they show a remote filter adaptor assembly - looks like the Mocal adaptor plate with pipe fittings taking braided oil hoses to a spin-on filter plate that can be mounted on the bulkhead or chassis rail. Much better and more flexible arrangement, but I've never found one. The single piece spin-on adaptor available now is a nightmare for the GT6 for all the reasons photographed above!

Gully  

Plenty of oil filter remote housings and pipes, but getting the other end that fits our blocks might be harder. Haven't had any problems with the spin-on adaptor, though, I use the WIX filters and they'll fit between the chassis rails and the relief valve no problem.

• 5 weeks later...