jimmyrjm

Hi All,

I am restoring a Triumph GT6 MK3 and I am struggling a little with electrics, one problem I have is that of a yellow electrical device just below the petrol filler cap (I have attached pictures of it below). I wanted to know what his is? What it is used for? And mainly the locations of the wires? If someone could provide a picture of the wires attached to the device that would be perfect.

Thanks!

Jim.

post-1788-0-20758400-1467070904_thumb.jpeg

post-1788-0-28510000-1467070942_thumb.jpeg

post-1788-0-32727500-1467071322_thumb.jpeg

It's the night dimming relay, which is best removed.

It was included to avoid dazzling anyone behind you at night when you stepped on the brakes.

The logic being that if the lights are bright enough for daylight use then it made sense to dim the light at night.

Check the wiring diagram to work out which wires to connect together, and which to leave disconnected.

There will be an earth wire, a wire from the side lights, and the wires to/from the brake lights / indicators.

I never new I had one of these until I read a similar thread elsewhere. I you look at our cars from behind, after dark, they are pretty dim compared to moderns. This device was from a different age when everybody had dim lights and we were gentlemanly and didn't want to dazzle. These days, it's a no brainer, get rid of it!  And, contemplate some LED rear end bulbs.

Easiest option with the night dimming relay is to leave it in place and all wired-up - with the exception of the earth.

The earth's for the relay circuit and if it's unplugged the relay circuit can never complete/the dimming circuit never come in to play.